Rattler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalmad

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi Guys
now the Sow is running well I guess its time to start another build.
This time im building the rattler by Dave G.
It may be a rocky start as i dont have much in the way of material yet, but I will post it as I go
5677767229_d0c83b4ab1.jpg

5677767335_bca1db4091.jpg

Hi Steve
How are the plans coming ? :bow:
The Rattler is a gearless, single, 4 stroke Hit and Miss, designed and built by Dave G.
It is a unique little engine and Dave has kindly allowed me to test his plans (believe me if I can build it, just about anybody can :big:)
He tells me he has tried to make the building of the engine as simple as possable, but as I have not really got into it very far, I will not say too much other then, my DRO is gunna get a workout on this one!!
As with my last build, please comment if I do something wrong or even if u just feel like it.
I am a novice trying to learn how to use my equipment and my choice of projects, reflect my love of motors both large and small.
Pete

daves engine by metalmad2011, on Flickr

This is Dave's prototype, But its a good bet mine will not look exactly like this
I like to add my little bits of expression to my builds. eg my decision on my last build to change the bearing caps and add a under engine fuel tank To the "Sows Ear".

daves engine2 by metalmad2011, on Flickr
here is another pic of Dave's prototype engine
I guess u understand why I want to build it
nice huh

Hi guys, A while back I posted photos of my gearless engine and I have since named it the Rattler. Also I have posted in Tricks and tips the making of the crossover cam for this engine. The Rattler name came about because the engine has a definate rattle to it when running. The hit-miss governor is on the end of the crankshaft and wiggles as it is running and looks like a snake rattling it's tail. Shelby has his Cobra, Iaccoca has his Viper and I have the Rattler,LOL. Anyways I thought it would be best if I could get someone to build the first engine from my plans before making them available to the public. This way we could correct any mistakes in the plans. Pete has kindly accepted the challenge of the first build and I thank him for this. I hope all goes well. This is my first attempt at documenting one of my engines so there will be mistakes and I want to make sure the plans will lead to a running engine when finished.
I will be following along with Pete's build and will be here for any support if needed. I could have done the build myself but I thought it best if someone else be involved, sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees and I could have easily overlooked something important. This way, if there are any roadbumps, we will find them now and not later.
I tried to design this engine with the novice in mind, including machining instructions and tips in construction. We will soon see how well I did. Hopefully all goes well and maybe soon there will be another engine to add to the list. Dave

Thanks Steve, In case you haven't put two and two together yet, I'm the guy who sat behind you and your wife at Zanesville last year. Dave

That'll be me and my beautiful better half, and no, she doesn't have a beard. And Steve, you need a camera that makes me look younger. Dave

Hi guys
its pouring rain here today so I spent some time in the Shed.
That old lathe may not look much but it sure bores a nice hole,I left it .995 to allow for a hone to one inch but its so nice I'm not sure ill bother.

SANY1605 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1606 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

Pete

;D Good to see you right back at it Pete - great looking parts so far.

Looks like the engine-building bug's bitten you bad :big:

Kind regards, Arnold

I was wondering what a "rattler" was as well, so thanks for the pictures. Thats a nice design and I will be following along with great interest.

Bill

Looking good Pete. Is that a Colchester lathe? If it is ,then I'm jealous. Dave

Hi Dave
nothing so glamorous I'm afraid ;D
its a 20 year old "Shun Shin" from Taiwan, but it is auto feed and the ways are still good.
I need to make or replace the carriage Nut, sooner rather then later, to remove all the slop, but until I start threading its not really a problem.
one day I will paint it and make some nice handles for it, but to learn on I don't think it can be beat ;D
some very nice features are, the dials are graduated in both metric and Imp,and the Carriage Dial shows the radius not the diameter(so what u set u get) and I'm almost sure that 20 years ago the 3 jaw was self centering LOL.
Hi arnold
thanks mate its good to get back on the lathe again as the fiddly bits on the Sow was driving me insane LOL
Hi Bill
I was just thinking, one thing Dave should have in the drawing set is an assembly drawing so I could work out where everything goes. eg where do the points go ?
I'm just starting to appreciate how different this motor is from my two other builds,for instance the spark event is on the other side of the valves from the combustion chamber.

I wonder if these old machines knew they were going to have so much fun in their retirement. After working day in and day out and then being taken in by someone who really cares in their senior years, makes me need a tissue. Dave

The old girl has a history
the company, the previous owner works for, got it off the RAAF in the tooling up phase for a military contract, that in the end they did not get,so it just sat until he bought it and then sat, till I bought it and brought it back to life.
Pete

yet another intersting project i shall have to keep an eye on!

Hi Chaffe
Well yes it could end up entertaining ,I could easily end up falling flat on my face here :big:
Pete

metalmad said:
Hi Chaffe
Well yes it could end up entertaining ,I could easily end up falling flat on my face here :big:
Pete
def not! we all have faith here with you! get machining, and dont forget the camera! :big:

Latest posts

Back