Rattler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hay Pete
:bow: I can't wait to hear it running - I guess I'll have to be patient like everyone else.

Judging by the web around the joints in the carby it looks to be soft soldered - is that right?

Bez

Hi Bez
yep the carby is soft soldered, I presume the abundant heat sink on the combustion chamber and valve box as well as the cooling effect of the air and fuel and ample finage, keep it cool enougth so the carby does not melt, Well at least, I sure hope so :big:

SANY1639 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1640 by metalmad2011, on Flickr
I did not get as much done today as I had hoped, but here is the intake valve and in the pic u can see whats left of the dyna bolt I made it out off.(tough stuff)
Pete

Hi all
had A little problem today with the exhaust cage.
My dividing head is very tall and all I have at the moment to do the valve seat is a large drill and because my keyless chuck is also very long, I had problems getting a long shank drill in the chuck.
I decided to use my shorter keyed chuck that does not have a drawbar hole.
Well I guess U know what happend right.
Yep the chuck fell out while doing the valve seat. I know I can fix it but Its a complication I just did not need :mad:

SANY1641 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

had a break from the valves etc today and did some fins

SANY1642 by metalmad2011, on Flickr
once I got into it a bit I enjoyed it but I wasted an hour or so micking up the dividing head and then decided to do it in the lathe instead ;D
Pete

Greetings metalmad, The engine is looking great ! Sorry about the misfire with the exhaust cage, but do not be discouraged. As long as you have learned something, the time has been well spent. Some machinist have told me, "well Larry, you can not do that way". I would go ahead and do it anyway just to see "WHY" it would not work. I echo Dave G words. The more you do (practice) the easier it will become and actually become second nature to you.

metalmad, I love the picture of your son in front of the lathe. What a special lad he is for sure. I too can remember when my kids would share time with me in the shop. I do have my 43 year old daughter with me now in my shop. She has a corner all set up to do her free lance graphic art design work.

Keep up the great work and I/we all look forward to seeing and hearing the "Rattler" running.

Hi Steamin
I can not wait til the boy can talk and help me with my projects,and I just hope he's not so clean like his sister :big:
Today I made the exhaust valve and faced off both valves to remove the parting off remnant and bring the head depth down to size.
I did not bother with a pic today cos I recon most people who would read this post would have seen a valve before :big:
Pete

Hi guys today I got a bit done. It might not look like much so far, but It took a while :big:
and the mill got dirty again ;D

SANY1644 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1645 by metalmad2011, on Flickr
With any luck ill get this part finished tomorrow.
Pete
PS
IF u look on page one, u can see this part on the prototype.It will be interesting to make

Hi Pete, The pivot support looks great. It's one of the more difficult parts to make on this engine and was one of the more difficult for me to draw as well so I'm glad all went well. Pete found one missing dim for me on the dwg and that will be corrected.
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm having a blast watching Pete's and everyone elses builds on here. I'm trying to finish up a few projects around the house right now and am too busy to do one of my own builds but I have been working on a design I want to start soon. I'm anxious to do a build of my own and the associated posts that go with it. For now I will have to be content watching Pete's build of the Rattler and the other build posts.
Keep up the good work Pete and I hope everyone is enjoying this as much as I am, Dave

Hi Pete, I am posting a link to a video of the Rattler running, Dave

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HkXHshJRwU[/ame]

That runs just lovely mate :bow: :bow: :bow:
I just hope I can get mine to run like that!!
No Pics today as what I made, even thougth it took me a while does not look much.
I have a lot of little parts to make at the moment that hardly warrant a photo.
By the way does anyone have any pics of the "Mastiff" by L C Mason ?
Its a water cooled 4 cyl that im reading up on hoping to make it my next build.
Pete

Hi Pete.

Allan Roberts has a couple Mastiff pics in his gallery http://www.modelenginenews.org/gallery/roberts/ (photos 23 & 24) as well as a lot of other neat stuff. They are the only ones I've ever been able to find aside from the ones in Mr. Masons book.

Several years ago I began making a set of patterns for this engine but discovered I was in way over my head. :eek: I'll have another go someday when I've had a bit more pattern making practice.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff
Im looking at the Mastiff as a possable Bar stock engine, if I can not get castings as the engine looks very blocky, but would tidy up well I think.
I would be interested in buying your copy of his book if your interested. and have sent u a pm
Pete

I can not wait til the boy can talk and help me with my projects

pic31542.jpg

Hi Tel
I cracked up over that drawing :big:
He has a lot to answer for I recon ;D
Today I made the lifter, and together with yesterdays effort deemed it worth a photo :big:

SANY1651 by metalmad2011, on Flickr
Pete

Ita all worthy of pics mate, dont be shy in taking several, no matter how trivial the part. Im still here watching ;)

Hi Chaffe
Are u sure ?
today i only made the roller for the lifter and then ran into a problem.
I had to buy half a carton of beer for a local boat builder for some scrap alli he gave me and thus my problem.
What to do with the other half ?
As I'm hard at work on this same quandary, as I type this, its probably not safe for me to go back down to the shed this arvo ;D
Pete (HiC),

Alright then - ship it on down to me and I'll take care of it - as long as it ain't that 4X.

The things I do for people! :Doh:

I see the said problem, nothing wrong with a few beers, built many a car engine with the help of a couple of lagers!

Latest posts

Back