ratios for cylinder volumes in compound engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anatol

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm wondering if anyone has some general guidelines/ratios about relative volumes or bore and stroke for cylinders in a two cylinder compound engine? Is there a general rule? I assume these ratios would vary with steam pressure.
thanks!

Yes, with steam pressure and condenser vacuum, if any. The strokes are commonly the same. The designer will normally aim to get the same power from each cylinder. This is not a simple matter. It involves doing some thermodynamics.

The relationship of cylinders sizes in compound steam engines has been well documented for more than 100 years , it is also documented that condensers do not work efficiently at model scales .
some research will provide all the information you might require.

abby
"some research will provide all the information you might require"
thankyou, I was starting my research process here. :)

No, Anatol, the point being made, I think, is that expecting other people to spend a load of their time explaining things to you goes just so far before you start to try their patience, and certainly does not qualify as research. At the risk of sounding patronising, you are asking intelligent questions, so as I think I have said to you before, you need to read some books to develop a rounded understanding of the subject. Once you have acquired some knowledge through your own efforts I, for one, will happy to discuss things. For a start I recommend 'Model Stationary & Marine Steam Engines' by KN Harris, and any book from the first half of the 20'th century on Heat Engines, such as those by Ripper, Rankine, Low or Inchley.

(Generally speaking, it does surprise me how resistant people are to reading. I have, at a rought estimate, 150 reference books on mechanical engineering, steam, railways, model engineering, and woodworking. Counting shelves and multiplying, I make it about 3,500 books of all kinds in the house as a whole. I have not read them all.)

Asking for information requires no input from you , just the goodwill of others who have done the work before you .
This approach can hardly be described as "research".
Follow Charles' advice and read some of the available literature , you may or may not obtain the knowledge that you seek , but you certainly will avoid being given mis-information which is so very common on forums.
Dan.

Gentlemen
your comments are fully understood and appreciated. I am no stranger to niche forums like this one, having been an active member of several in different fields over the years, ranging from boatbuilding to robotics and various places in between. So I understand that:
1. Forums are a gift economy community
2. forums bring together diverse people with diverse backgrounds, novices and experts.
3. there are a lot of punters who ask silly questions and expect in-depth answers
4. the advice you get is sometimes worth what you paid for it but usually a lot more.

"This approach can hardly be described as "research"."

In my defense, I did not begin my thread as a new member recently did with the question "How do you design an engine?" He expected to be ridiculed but got (mostly) helpful advice. I was impressed by the community here. I am competent in a range of engineering and design fields, but steam is a new interest for me, and it is not a casual interest. I asked what I thought was focused and precise question, about a specific aspect of the design of specific kind of engine.

I am a lifelong higher-ed teacher and academic researcher, so I know something about research process. Any student or colleague may approach me and ask advice about my field(s) of expertise, and I freely give it. Every class I teach is as distillation of 20 or 30 years experience - a concept few of my students understand. :(

"read some of the available literature"

I own - and have read - the Harris book (which is great), a couple by Westbury, 3 of the late lamented Lindsay reprints in his essential steam library, and numerous downloads and magazine reprints. I have had an original copy of Hawkins' New Catechism of the Steam Engine (1904) in my library for many years.

I will look out for the other books such as "any book from the first half of the 20'th century on Heat Engines, such as those by Ripper, Rankine, Low or Inchley."

" it does surprise me how resistant people are to reading"

Indeed. it is dying art. Sadly, induced in large part by the medium we are now communicating via. I have to teach my (university) students how to read. They *think* they can read but what they know how to do is skim. Even if they do deign to examine a printed page, their comprehension and recall is minimal. And, sadly, their ability to apply what they learned is also poor. We're all doomed. End of rant :)

" Once you have acquired some knowledge through your own efforts I, for one, will happy to discuss things. "

Charles, I already recognize your expertise and willingness to discuss.

So thanks to both and all the other helpful members of this forum. I am learning and will surely give back when I have expertise to offer.

Back