Rainhill lubricators

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don-tucker

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi,i am building an lbsc rainhill and would like to use ,lubricators on the steam chests,i have seen pictures of them but have no idea of the construction,could anyone enlighten me,perhaps a drawing maybe
Thanks Don

For the age of the original engine you are building, I believe tallow was the lubricant used.

The tallow would be put in the top bowl on top of the lubricator. Top pet cock would be opened and the tallow would go into the intermediate bowl. Top pet cock closed and lower pet cock opened to allow tallow to enter cylinder (or steam chest).
lubricator.jpg

The pic will give you some idea of what I'm on about.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thanks for that but the ones ive seen are just round pieces on top of the steam chest
Don

OK, Don. Here are a couple of (poor quality) pics of the sort of thing you are looking for.

Lion lubs 1.jpg

Lion lubs 2.jpg

Same idea as earlier, but only one pet cock.
1kfsma.jpg

The above pic is taken from the Stuart Models catalogue. Should give you a better idea. Included angle for the two parts is commonly 7 degs.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Can anyone tell me whether the lubricator on the steamchest is a plain pot for oil or is it more involved
Thanks Don

Back