Radius Gauge

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken I

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Been a while since I uploaded anything - so I hope this is useful - if not exactly a model.

In my line of work I frequently have to reverse engineer from samples containing various radii.

For small radii a set of radius gauges does the trick but large partial radii are difficult to measure accurately without decent equipment.

Since I couldn’t find anything suitable or locally available, I decided to design my own.

This is it

The caliper uses two adjustable gear synchronised levers to set a baseline dimension for measuring a chord and its depth or height to determine a radius.

It can be attached to virtually any Vernier and can be easily added or removed as required.

Regards, Ken

Attachments

• Calliper.doc
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Caliper.pdf
    116.6 KB · Views: 218
  • CALIPER.DWG
    151 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I hope a moderator can explain why I can't download the ACAD (*.dwg) version - always used to in the past ?

Edit....... Thanks to Admin for sorting this out

I also see that all prior downloads containing ACAD drawings have disappeared from the downloads section.

That's an awful lot of work gone West.

I presume this happend with the migration ?

Regards,

Last edited:
For a concave radius of suitable size you can use a depth mike. The length of the base and the depth reading to the surface plus a little trig (or
CAD) will get you the radius.

Based on a request - I've added the *.dxf file in the *.zip file (attached)

+New photo to correct damage done by photobucket etc.
caliper2.jpg

To answer another question - it is used to measure large radii accurately - but you need to apply the trig - as per earlier *.doc file.
CALIPER3.jpg

Regards, Ken

Attachments

• CALIPER.zip
    34.9 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Back