Radial engine plans/kits

Help Support HMEM:

petertha

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
As a newbie myself I would say less cylinders is a big enough bite to chew. If you go glow plugs, that simplifies ignition system a bit over spark if that's a consideration. There are 3 I can think of with pros & cons.
- Edwards 5-cylinder plans are free, there have been a number of build posts with pictures and Q&A on various forums. Methanol fuel, oil pump, imperial dimensions & gears
- Jung 5-cylinder, similar displacement as above, metric plans & gears, mist lubrication (no pump). I believe some common components to 7-cyl radial also offered separately
- Ohrndorf 5-cylinder, similar displacement, metric plans & gears, mist lubrication (no pump). Need to buy both 5 & 9 cyl plans to complete the 5 cyl as many parts are common. Not ideal but its the way he did it & I guess a head start f you think you will build a 9 one day

There are other 5's out there I'm forgetting. Some involve castings, some are bar stock.
Radial engines with lower cylinders count (i.e. 3) are rarer, a bit more obscure documentation wise, but they are out there

Jasonb

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score

Peter Twissell

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
If you'd prefer something more substantial, I will at some point make available a full set of drawings for my 2.3 liter 7 cylinder engine.
Not until I've had it running and proven!

WOB

Reaction score
Title says it all I am a newbie to model engine building
If you have never built a model engine of any type, I would strongly suggest you build one or two single cylinder glow plug or diesel engines to begin to understand the processes and the required tooling. There are many plans free online and build instructions to go with them. There are also kits with raw materials furnished.

If you are successful, then try to build a simple 5 cylinder glow plug radial. If successful, you might be ready to try a 7 or 9 cylinder radial with spark ignition running on gasoline. It is not a trivial pursuit. It takes lots of time, determination and cash money.

WOB

Latest posts

Group Builder