Quick changing tool for the lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mp409mm

Reaction score
HI, Can someone explain please what is the difference between these tool holders for a quick changing tool column. thanks
I have the 250-200, which one of these will fit mine. thanks
Alf.

Attachments

• Different sizes tool holders.JPG
    Different sizes tool holders.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 285
These are all the same type holder, but in different sizes. 0XA is the smallest, CXA is the largest in the group. There are other sizes out there.

You appear to have the BXA version, which means you need tool holders in the BXA (or 200) series. Most of the major tool suppliers sell them, either brand-name, or copies. If you have a mill you can make them.

--ShopShoe

These are all the same type holder, but in different sizes. 0XA is the smallest, CXA is the largest in the group. There are other sizes out there.

You appear to have the BXA version, which means you need tool holders in the BXA (or 200) series. Most of the major tool suppliers sell them, either brand-name, or copies. If you have a mill you can make them.

--ShopShoe
Thank you, but when you say different sizes, what do you mean, what is the different apply to? thank you

The 250-001 takes 1/2" sq tools, the 250-002 has a V in the bottom of the toolslot and is for circular tool such as a boring bar.
Best you do a search on the internet for the toolholder numbers and you will find loads of info.

mp409mm,

Just to make things clear:

When I talked about the "size" above I was referring to the size of the toolpost, not the size of the tool or toolbit the holder holds.

You say you have a BXA sized toolpost on your lathe. The BXA is designed for lathes with a swing of 10 to 15 inches. You need BXA sized toolholders for use with the BXA toolpost, and there are several different ones made and each toolholder is designed to hold a certain sized tool, as xpylonracer says above.

To emphasize the point, I will talk about toolholders for boring bars: There is a BXA toolholder for 3/4-inch round shank bars (Aloris #100) and a BXA toolholder for 1-inch round bars (Aloris # 104). There is also the combined BXA toolholder (#2) which holds square-shank cutting toolbits or smaller round-shank boring bars. There is also a BXA toolholder that holds morse-taper tools.

In practice, you get or make toolholders that fit the BXA post based on the tooling you want to have ready to quickly swap into position to work quickly. For example, standard right-cutting tool, left cutting tool, chamfering tool, cutoff tool, small boring bar, large boring bar, knurler, etc.

One of the well-known brands of QCTP is Aloris, you can see all their products at www.aloris.com

You might also look at this: Results Page 1 :: KBC Tools & Machinery

For other brands, you can look to Grizzly, Shars, MSC, etc. (I have no ties to any vendors).

Excuse my long-winded-ness.

--ShopShoe

Shopshoe, thank you very much for this comprehensive explanation, it is the information I was looking for, Much appreciated.
Alf

Tell us what lathe and size and someone here will post what size tool post and holders you need. Your BXA set should work for 13 inch or 14 inch lathe..

Shars has a useful dimensioned drawing that will help you understand sizing. This one for example. I'm not advocating their products, just that they do a good job of conveying the information. You might hear if your lathe has swing of X to buy toolholder Y. But the important parameter is height from top of compound to spindle axis & that can vary somewhat depending on the machine.
https://www.shars.com/quick-change-tool-post-set-piston-type-200-bxa
Then there are decisions like piston vs wedge, types of toolholder etc. Personally I would stay away from package sets unless its an awesome $$ deal. You may not care for their knurling tool or have a use for the round bar boring holder... all depends on your existing tooling & aspirations. Having more than a few for different kinds of cutters all set up, ready to go really speeds up operations. It used to be a given that the screws were crappy but over time they seem to be improving. the could be metric or IMP depending on thebrand/seller.

Hi, Thank you all for your replies and advice. My lathe is a Chester craftsmen Lathe, and the tool post is on it. The specifications is 100% identical to the Grizzly MODEL G9249 12" X 37" BELT DRIVE.
Main Specifications:

Operation Info

Swing Over Bed......................................................................................................................................... 12 in.

Dist Between Centers.................................................................................................................................37 in.

Swing Over Cross Slide......................................................................................................................... 6-3/4 in.

Swing Over Saddle................................................................................................................................ 6-1/2 in.

Swing Over Gap...................................................................................................................................18-7/8 in.

Max Tool Bit Size...................................................................................................................................... 5/8 in.

Compound Travel...................................................................................................................................3-1/2 in.

Carriage Travel.................................................................................................................................... 31-1/2 in.

Cross Slide Travel........................................................................................................................................ 6 in.

Headstock Info

Spindle Bore.........................................................................................................................................1-7/16 in.

Spindle Size........................................................................................................................................... 2-1/4 in.

Spindle Taper.............................................................................................................................................MT#5

Spindle Threads................................................................................................................................................ 8

No Of Spindle Speeds.....................................................................................................................................12

Range Of Spindle Speeds.......................................................................................................... 50 - 1200 RPM

Spindle Type........................................................................................................................................Threaded

Spindle Bearings......................................................................................................................... Tapered Roller

Tailstock Info

Tailstock Travel............................................................................................................................................ 3 in.

Tailstock Taper.......................................................................................................................................... MT#3

Tailstock Barrel Diameter.......................................................................................................................1-1/4 in.

Threading Info

No Of Inch Threads.........................................................................................................................................50

Range Of Inch Threads..................................................................................................................... 4 - 112 TPI

Range Of Longitudinal Feeds............................................................................................... 0.0047 - 0.0165 in.

No Of Longitudinal Feeds............................................................................................................................... 16

No Of Cross Feeds......................................................................................................................................... 16

Range Of Cross Feeds.................................................................................................. 0.0023 - 0.0082 in./rev.

No Of Metric Threads......................................................................................................................................24

Range Of Metric Threads..............................................................................................................0.25 - 7.5 mm

Dimensions

Bed Width...............................................................................................................................................7-1/8 in.

Leadscrew TPI.................................................................................................................................................. 8

Leadscrew Length...................................................................................................................................... 45 in.

Faceplate Size............................................................................................................................................10 in.

Leadscrew Diameter................................................................................................................................. 7/8 in.

Feed Rod Diameter................................................................................................................................... 3/4 in.

Floor To Center Height.........................................................................................................................44-1/2 in.

My problem was I wish to add more tool holders to my BXA ( I know that it is a BXA because I learned it from your post ) So, while I was searching on Amazon, I encountered many sizes and variations that made me more confused which one I should buy to fit my tool column, But with all your help I think I finally understood what are those numbers on the tool holders are for. If I understood correctly, the first number ( 250) is the common to all, and the second number is the type of tool holder. So I take it that as long as I keep with the 250 they all fit my tool post. Sorry for this long reply and my ignorance on this subject, Any information how to understand this better is much appreciated.
Alf.

Of the ones in the attachment you posted you want the 250-201 for standard square cutting tools up to 16mm and the 250-202 for round boring bars, the rest are to small or to big and won't fit your tool post. As suggested above you can get different holders for other tools, the parting tool holder is very useful.

Hamish

Of the ones in the attachment you posted you want the 250-201 for standard square cutting tools up to 16mm and the 250-202 for round boring bars, the rest are to small or to big and won't fit your tool post. As suggested above you can get different holders for other tools, the parting tool holder is very useful.

Hamish
Thank You
Alf

Thank you, but when you say different sizes, what do you mean, what is the different apply to? thank you
As the sizes increase so doses the sq block itself the dimensions of the dove tail area increase as dose the tool holders. OAX may be different from the AXA. Most off shore tool holders will fit the real Aloris an the other way around. I don't see a whole lot of difference in the wedge vs the piston types other that taking a holder out an when its put back it may come in closer with the wedge types. Suspect the wedge hold the tool holder a bit more secure.
Harvey

About quality, I noticed that, especially those made in China, but mind you some are really good, especially for the price and they do their job good, considering the price, IMO.

Within the Aloris web site is a link to the catalog: https://www.aloris.com/aloris_cat/31e970.pdf

This explains the sizes and has all the available holder types shown in tables with dimensions. Makes much more sense than the listing of various of holders for purchase. The Shars catalog that petertha provided is also useful for determining the same.

John

comstock-friend, Thanks for posting the link that is a very good and full of information.

About quality, I noticed that, especially those made in China, but mind you some are really good, especially for the price and they do their job good, considering the price, IMO.

Yes, I have a 250 - 000 setup on my Myford, equivalent to Aloris OXA I believe, These are of Chinese origin and I can't fault them,

I was initially sceptical about "Chinese knockoffs" but on arrival I was very pleasantly surprised.. There were none of the burrs, and lack of finish often talked about everything fits together beautifully and I have not found a single burr where there shouldn't be.

I found it hard to believe that I was getting this much tricky precision engineering for so little money. The 001 and 002 carriers were on offer from Bangood at about £8 each and the whole setup including 7 carriers and a Myford adaptor kit from ARC Eurotrade cost about £150. This is less than the cost of a single Aloris tool carrier.

Fitting was a trivial 5 minute job thanks to the above mentioned adaptor kit and in use it is incredibly solid and rigid despite it's tiny size, itself an advantage as the toolpost "gets in the way" less.

Tool changing now takes seconds rather than a lengthy chore involving hunting for shims and much cursing and there are no sharp cutting tools poking out all round the toolpost to slice your hands on.

I have no connection with any of the above companies, I am basing this merely on my experience of buying and using one of these toolposts.

Best Regards Mark

You can also try CDCO Machinery. They are Phase 2 tool posts and toolholders, very reasonable priced. They can be purchased in complete sets or just toolholders in the size that you need. I have a set for almost twenty years and have been completely satisfied with them. They also do overseas orders. Check out their website CDCO Machinery

Latest posts

Back