Quick change toolposts---again

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I just measured my lathe, and from the center of the chuck down to the top of the compound rest (where my present toolholder sets on) is 0.9". The lathe is listed as a "10 x 18" lathe" by BusyBee tools. I just heard that my radial engine article has been published in The Home Shop Machinist magazine, so---Found Money!!!! I may purchase a good quick change toolpost, and I haven't got a clue as to what size/type I need. Can someone shed some light on this please.---I may order it from "Little Machine Shop".----Brian

Hi Brian,

My "center height" at the compound is 1" ...and my Aloris AXA wedge clone fits perfect. I think you would be fine with that. There is plenty of travel. I'll take a photo so you can see for yourself.

You'll need to turn up a nut for it though.

Dave

The thru bolt on my toolholder is 0.390" diameter which translates roughly to 10mm dia. and there is a locking lever/nut that screws onto the top of it.

Brian, Congratulations on the publication!!!

When I bought my Lathe (Second Hand) It came with a QC toolpost, brand new still in the box. He never got around to milling the T-Nut. (Because I bought his mill too :big:)

Anyway, the lathe is a 10" Grizz and the QC toolpost is an AXA 200. I think they advertise this as 10" Swing on the low end.

Well, once I milled the T-nut and got her installed I had a horrible realization that I could not get the "Tool" low enough, and subsequently had to mill a 1/4" off the bottom of each tool holder so I could get the tool to the proper height.

I do like the Extra "Beef" it gives the machine though.

Kel

Brian, It was not too bad milling the tool holders down, just something I did not want to do to a brand new tool. The AXA 100 series should fit no problem.

Does your lathe have a t-nut in the compound to hold the toolpost?

I think the kits come with a piece of steel with a threaded hole which you have to machine to fit your lathe. If you do not have the t-slot, than I think you will need to make a sleeve to fit your toolpost bolt, and use a flanged hex bolt to hold it down instead of the lever system the turret has, but I am sure that would work too.

I am just thinking out loud now.

Kel

As steamer said:
I think axa or 100 size should work fine for you.

I have an AXA on my 9" south bend tool height 1" with a 3/8 bit installed and I can still lower the tool holder about a 1/4 inch.

Aloris tool post sizes posted here.
http://www.aloris.com/catalog/aloris_p2-3.pdf
Tin

This is what my topslide looks like from above (with the old toolpost and handle setting in the background) and from underneath where the head of the bolt sets. That cavity for the bolt head is 0.640" wide x 1.042" long x 0.159" deep and the thru hole for the bolt is 0.410" dia.--And I just realized that I have a 0.100" spacer in there betwen the two peices, so the center distance from the center of the chuck down to where my toolpost sets would be 1" if I take that home made spacer out.
COMPOUNDRESTPICS002.jpg

COMPOUNDRESTPICS003.jpg

Brian, that should work.

You might have to machine a longer bolt (depending on how tall the QCTP is)

Also, a sleeve might be required if the bolt is smaller than the one that comes with the QCTP.

The bolt that came with my 200 series is quite a bit larger than the one on your lathe. The nut on the top is 1".

If I were you, I would go with the 100 series. My mini lathe is setup close to how yours is with one exception. Instead of a slotted hole for a bolt in the compound, there is a threaded hole.

Again, this is all just a guess, I do not know what comes with every QCTP kit.

There might even be one that is specifically made for your lathe.

Kel

Hi Brian,

Here you go.

PC180043.jpg

The holder is a 250-107 which I believe is a 5/8" holder. The bottom is 1/4" from the top of the compound.

Sorry about the chips...... :-[

Dave

kcmilin has mixed up his numbers. QCTP are identified as series #100, 200, 300 and 400 which correspond to AXA, BXA,CXA and DXA

For a 10" lathe use a series 100 or AXA.

That size on a 10" lathe should allow the use of tool bits from 1/4" to 1/2" square without using shims or machining the tool holder. The vertical adjustment on the tool holder will compensate for the different sizes.

My Aloris tool holders are .450" to the bottom of the tool slot so you might not be able to use 1/2" tools on your lathe (.450 + .500) if your lathe center is just .900" above the compound. Import tool holders may vary slightly in that dimension.

Stan: Phase II recommends the 100 size for 9"-12" swing and 200 for 10" -15"
http://www.phase2plus.com/details.asp?pr=QUICK_CHANGE_TOOL_POST&id=51
bottom line is you need to read the dimensions and see if it really fits your lathe.
I used my axa on my 7 x 10 for a while before I got the south bend .I bought the cut down compound. then I changed over to a A2Z CNC scaled down aluminum job on the mini lathe.
I do think we are all in agreement that the AXA - 100 series is what Brian needs.
Tin

Stan said:
kcmilin has mixed up his numbers. QCTP are identified as series #100, 200, 300 and 400 which correspond to AXA, BXA,CXA and DXA

Ahhhh, I should do a little research before I open my mouth. :noidea:

I thought AXA was just what they all were called. I think you can get the Jist of what I was saying though.

Kel

PS, my QCTP has "200-250" etched on it.

Aloris brand uses AXA, BXA, CXA etc to designate sizes. Phase II brand uses 100, 200 ,300 to designate theirs. axa and 100 are interchangeable. the knockoffs may uses either designation. I have used Chinese 100 on my Aloris axa. I had to take a couple to the belt sander to make them fit but no big deal. The only downside I see to the import tool holders is the set screws are junk. but that is an easy upgrade.
The only down side to Aloris is the price. Top notch Made in New Jersey USA.
Tin

Everyone's talking about buying one but I made the one laid out in Home Shop Machinist a few years ago, Jan/Feb 2008. It works really well and I had the fun of making it. It fits perfectly on my 11 inch Sheldon lathe.

2nd the rec for an AXA / 100-size QCTP. I've got both and the 200 / BXA is too big for a 10" lathe unless it's a really hefty lathe.

Hurray!!! My Christmas present from George Bulliss over at Home Shop Machinist showed up in the mail today. I'll be ordering a qctp on Tuesday.

Your gonna be happier than a tornado in a trailer park!....... ;D

Dave

I just received notice that my quick change toolpost is in at the post office-----But I can't pick it up untill after 5:00 PM.---Looking foreward to this----Brian

So here's what was in the box. Two tool holders, a cut off blade holder, a knurling tool and a boring tool holder. The boring tool holder is for a 3/4" shank boring tool with a split bushing in it to accept 5/8" shank boring bars. This will be a problem, because the boring tools I have that fit my boring head on the mill are all 1/2" shank.
quickchange001.jpg

Back