Quick Change Tool Post - Need Advice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
make your own from scratch.
its a good little project.

here is a small version i built.

make your own from scratch.
its a good little project.

here is a small version i built.
Very slick project. You don't get a sense of the small scale until your fingers get into the picture.

I now have an AXA post on order and hope it will reduce the number of problems that I have run into.
One in particular has been putting .060" deep o-ring grooves inside of .177" bores. For the tool to have any strength, it has to be set well above the centerline so that there is room for the shank to fit into the hole. To do that, I had to make L-shaped shim blocks of different heights to raise the cutting edge up in the bore. The longest bar on the right is over 10 years old and I have bored many hundreds of tiny holes, plus hundreds of o-ring grooves. I hope I didn't just jinx it.

IMG_20220416_130959544.jpg

We are having the same issues. Some tools are just too short so I think a shim under the tool post will be the best solution . Cut it to the shape of the main clamp the drill and counter sink attaching flat head machine screws. . Should be easy enough .
Byron
The issue I had was that 1/2" tools were too high, just above the center line of the lathe. The mod I did fixed that issue.

I have done that in the past for small (really small) and it worked out fine just have to take it slow.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I bit the bullet and bought the wedge lock AXA and removed the compound and mounted it on top of a scrap of 7075 aluminum that I had. Gotta say, you guys were all right. I love this.
The picture shows a little tool post grinder I cobbled up out of odds and ends. It fits into the boring bar holder. I am doing a different thread about the tool post grinder.

IMG_20221207_085644434.jpg

I made mine for my Pultra lathe with about a dozen toolholders. At the time there was nothing small commercially available so I made a few and sold them on Ebay, didn't take long before a Chinese version appeared.

DSCF5317.jpg

DSCF5313.jpg

Latest posts

Back