Quick Change Tool Post - Need Advice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd-ss

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Grizzly G0602 10x22 bench-top lathe is almost 10 years old, and for some reason, I have never bought a quick change tool post. I can't justify the cost of a new name brand, and there is definitely nothing available locally, and I am leery of a used part that serves such a critical function.

I am think this Shars AXA version might do the trick, and it is in my budget. The wedge lock appeals to me more than the piston type.
Any thoughts or advice. I could finally get a knurling tool, too!

https://www.shars.com/products/tool...quick-change-tool-post-set-wedge-type-111-axa

I have the Shars in BXA size and Phase 2 in AXA, Both have been excellent for many years now.
Both in wedge style. I get more and more tool holders as a presents to myself and sometimes as
a present from those that don't know what to get me. Can't have too many tool holders set up
and just waiting to be dropped in.

Nothing beats an owner's first hand report.
I think I will buy myself a present! ;)
Thanks,
Lloyd
P.S. The only problem is rummaging thru my tool drawers to see what else I "need" to add to the order.

I have an AXA I bought off Amazon - and it has performed very well.

The AXA size and type is good tool post I own one since the 1970's for 9" lathe. (Mind is Aloris)

Dave

My Grizzly G0602 10x22 bench-top lathe is almost 10 years old, and for some reason, I have never bought a quick change tool post. I can't justify the cost of a new name brand, and there is definitely nothing available locally, and I am leery of a used part that serves such a critical function.

I am think this Shars AXA version might do the trick, and it is in my budget. The wedge lock appeals to me more than the piston type.

https://www.shars.com/products/tool...quick-change-tool-post-set-wedge-type-111-axa

Last edited:
I don't have the Shars tool post but have another brand of the same dimensions as the AXA. I do have about half a dozen of the Shars tool holders that fit it and they have been giving me good service for many years. The quality is good. I would expect the same to be true of the tool post.
Gail

For what it's worth I have the same lathe though it's about 4 years old if that makes a difference. The issue I had was I had to shave a little off the bottom of the tool holders when using 1/2" tools as the holders sit on the top of the compound slide before the tool is at the center height. Will have to do this with each tool holder unless you modify the lathe.

The video shows the method I followed to modify my lathe though I made a modification to his plan. I didn't make a rigid mount like he does first but did the second modification. All in all I think it's worth it as it's nice once it's set up.

Randy

Seems an excellent choice to me. Several years ago shocked by the ever increasing cost of tooling up I went for an even simpler wedge type QCTP. This NONAME QCTP came together with 10 toolholders at a quarter of the cost of one single Swiss Multifix toolholder.

QCTP 1.JPG

At first the repeatability was not really good, up to 0,1 mm fluctuation. But then I found that a gentle consistent nudge on the topside before final fastening increases repeatability to 0,02 mm which is ok with me.

QCTP 2.JPG

For quick height setting I use a simple digital height measuring tool.

Center height setting.JPG

A final remark on the knurling tool: personally I would prefer the 'scissors' type knurling tool as it puts much less pressure on your workpiece.

The wedge type will put your tool holder back more accurate than the piston if that's important to you. Ive used the piston type works for me. CDCO in Ill sells the AXA holders for $12 don't know about the post but he is cheap for many years he use to come to the model engineering shows. If a piston type becomes worn it is easy to fix VS the wedge.
Harvey

I have a Phase II AXA bought from Travers years ago. I went cheaper and got a piston rather than a wedge lock style. Maybe because I'm running a lighter duty lathe (SB9, SB10K - the light weight SB10 poser) the piston lock has never caused me any issues. I'm usually using half inch and smaller tooling, on a big lathe the wedge locking styles additional stiffness would likely be more apparent.

I had to modify some low cost tool holders from CDCO years ago to fit the Phase II tool post, the flat "base" of the dovetail needed around 15 thou shaved off. Some folks say the cheap tool holders don't match the Aloris dimensions, others say Phase II screwed up and missed on the tool post size. No idea what the truth of it is, or if this is still an issue. The last batch of low end tool holders I bought two or three years ago for my sons lathe and a few for my lathe all fit fine without modification.

I think (haven't looked at one since the PA Grizzly closed) the G0602 has the same flexible compound mounting scheme as my old Chinese 9X20. If so, there are many mods around to stiffen this area up. When I made the heavier plate for my 9x20 it made a huge improvement in finish quality. So if you haven't done this yet and my memory is correct, it's a worthwhile improvement.

Cheers,
Stan

All my lathes had Aloris tool post .

Most where CA size.

The reason I like Aloris/type is the holder would repeat under 0.000,1" [0.002,5mm]. Great for turning ball bearing sets.
The only lathe I have today has a AXA which Great size upto 12"

Dave

Last edited:
Chinese made stuff can be variable in quality. However, Shars seems to carefully watch their supplier quality and i have gotten a quite nice 3 jaw chuck from them. I bought several of their of their 1" outside micrometers for the University where I run their Mechanical engineering machine shop - good value for the money.

Chinese made stuff can be variable in quality. However, Shars seems to carefully watch their supplier quality and i have gotten a quite nice 3 jaw chuck from them. I bought several of their of their 1" outside micrometers for the University where I run their Mechanical engineering machine shop - good value for the money.
I agree
I have purchased a few things from Shars and good quality 👌.

Dave

I'll add a + for the CDCO QCTP . When I got mine I took it apart to clean out all the assembly grit & reclock the handle & have been using it trouble free for many years know . Had I known about the Create Tool Multifix clone at the time I would have bought one of those instead . Nothing wrong with the CDCO but the Multifix clone gives the ability to change the angle of the tool without loosening the actual tool post .
http://www.createtool.com/list.asp?cid=33animal

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I have a few things to figure out, including the solid replacement plate for the compound. I am looking forward to making some decisions and getting this ordered.
Lloyd

We got the grizzly quick change tool post. We probably hav 20 holders by now. The strange thing is you would think with almost endless pile of holders there would be a couple with ready to use tools. I always clean and dress my tools when done . I don’t get out to the shop often so having to sharpen and reset tools makes the day longer. I had a perfect boring tool for all these collars but it’s busted the cutoff tool is shattered too. At least the lathe snd mill are cleaned up. Our lathe has to ac motor with VFD for a small motor it’s got a lot of power . It cuts 4130 like butter even with the cut off tools. Drills are another story. I don’t know where the several sets came from but you rarely can drill anything tough . I have a small grinder of my own that I touch up tools with and my old honed one has to be 50 years old. I’m surprised it’s still there. I got all pretty high quality ones with taps and dies so I can work on my steamer without drilling oversized rough holes . I stayed over night so I’ll have all day to do my stuff . It’s a nice sunny day and reasonably warm so hopefully I can make some progress.
Byron

For what it's worth I have the same lathe though it's about 4 years old if that makes a difference. The issue I had was I had to shave a little off the bottom of the tool holders when using 1/2" tools as the holders sit on the top of the compound slide before the tool is at the center height. Will have to do this with each tool holder unless you modify the lathe.

The video shows the method I followed to modify my lathe though I made a modification to his plan. I didn't make a rigid mount like he does first but did the second modification. All in all I think it's worth it as it's nice once it's set up.

Randy

We are having the same issues. Some tools are just too short so I think a shim under the tool post will be the best solution . Cut it to the shape of the main clamp the drill and counter sink attaching flat head machine screws. . Should be easy enough .
Byron

Back