Questions about Team Builds

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickG

Reaction score
Before I start I don't intend this post as being negative or a dig at the idea, so if it comes across that way take it with a pinch of salt.

I think the team builds are a great idea and it must have been very rewarding for those people involved in the first build. I was just trying to find out some more information for myself and other people that may be interested about what's expected and the way they are run. Also, if people are happy with the way it is going, that's fine, just so that other people that might be thinking of getting involved know the score.

We never seem to see much in the way of progress on these. I know the first 1 eventually got done, more or less, think a few people had to finish the engines off themselves.

What is the status of team build 2 and team build 3. I think even build 3 has been running for over a year with, from what I can see (although am not involved) little to show.

Are only the people involved in the builds party to the information or is it intended to be shared with all forum members? I haven't seen any drawings or lists of who is supposed to be doing what etc?

I know everybody has their personal lives and projects of their own to get on with, which is why I have never committed myself to being involved myself. Surely though, if people agree to be part of the build and are expecting an engine in return, they need some kind of commitment to make the parts by a deadline or preferred date, or at least provide regular uptates on their progress, of course except for in circumstances that are out of their control.

So my question is, are the team builds really working? I know we all do it at home, but to me it seems strange to start a new more complicated build before the previous one is complete.

Cheers,

Nick

Sorry, I missed that before, have just seen the roll call post and it states in there who is doing what.

Nick:
Team build one was a great experience . The fit finish and craftsmanship was fantastic.
The slowness of completion was mostly on my shoulders. This was mostly but not all due to an unforeseen act of god. Lightning struck near my home/shop disabled my phone lines, took out several compact fluorescent bulbs and last but not least fried the motor control boards on my mini mill and mini lathe. I had three options to get the boards working 1) Buy New About 300 bucks 2) Send them to uncle Rabid (No Not Kidding) 3) Have a buddy at work help troubleshoot and repair. The only viable option was wait for option 3.This did take a few months. Uncle rabid was recovering from being sick and was not accepting new work and I not want to spend large amounts of precious hobby money on the boards unless absolutely necessary.
One of the members became disabled and we needed a pinch hitter.

The TB threads are open for all to read.

I have no complaints with any Team member I worked with . I have heard no complaints. The TEAM was just that a team encouraging all along the way though the triumphs and failures.
This is a hobby. Life happens the only thing expected is folks to do there best. The ship date was a goal that came and went but the real goal was completed engine kits . this was accomplished.
Tin

When I feel my cnc mill and I are ready I will likely lead another one.

Latest posts

Back