Question: What Direction Is Up?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edan

Reaction score
Hello,

I am hoping someone in the manufacturing industry has been presented with this problem before and can help me with the answer.
On a manual lathe above center will be in an upward direction from the spindle center-line and below center will be in a downward direction from the spindle center-line.
So my question is, if you are using an upside down tool on the back of the cross slide, do you reverse the above definition or keep it?
The reason I am asking is that I am trying to sound as professional as I can with a prototype tool holder that I designed and I am not 100% positive with my written explanation of what this holder does.
When I worked we always reversed the above definition in our documentation for a tool on the back side of the cross slide, but as I write the presentation out it just does not sound correct.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Re define it as something like, below center line as from direction of rotation ? Man that sound weird lol.

Play it safe - write 'Exactly on centre height'!;)

If you take the top of the tool ie the bit with top rake as the reference point rather than a line through the centre of the spindle then the cutting edge will be either above or below centreline regardless of tool orientation as another example a tool mounted vertically such as a sliding head lathe would still be above or below centre rather than either left or right of centre
Ray

Play it safe - write 'Exactly on centre height'!

How does that look like at a slanted bed lathe?

tombstone got it precisely right!

Nick

I'm a sci-fi reader, and when faced with the similar dilemma for directions on a space ship that is spinning to simulate gravity they refer to it as "Spinward" and "Anti-Spinward"

Not sure that helps, but if I read the terms I would immediately be able to orient the way you meant, LOL.

Last edited:
Thank you again all of those who took the time to reply to my question.

All of them made me realize that I need to be more descriptive in my writings and also that I need to write to the suggested audience.

Unless you want to use the X Y Z coordinate system, the "above - below" center line sounds easy. :)

Unless you want to use the X Y Z coordinate system,

Below center would be a positive Y, above would be a negative Y. At center would be Y = 0.0
That's true for any arrangement.

Nick

Latest posts

Back