Question on bearing shells

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cessna

Reaction score
Hi, I am building a 4cyl engine, in the plans they call for phosphor bronze .005 to be used for con rod bearing shells. I have spent several hours on the net trying to source the material. The only one I found was a knife supply in the US, the 5"x7" sheet was only about seven dollars however they want 21 dollars to mail it.
Anyone got any sources or alternatives, the plan calls for only 2"x2"x.005 to make the shells.
Thanks
Terry

Thanks Bob, but almost all of these supply the industries only, not the hobbyist.
Terry

Oh well, it was worth a try. :mad:

Best Regards
Bob

If you can find sheet silver, often used in jeweler's craft work and the like, it might make a fine substitute. Of course, now you are spending $$ on the silver.

Are thicker sheets more readily available? You might be able to substitute if the rods have room for a thicker stock.

Thanks for the replies, I cannot use thicker, even .005 is crowding it. I found some partial pieces on ebay, purchased them and then got an email saying he was closing for xmas and would not be shipping till the new year, with the mail delay it will be a month before I see them. Such is life.
Terry

Rio Grande jewelers supply carries the sheet pure silver in .020" thick for a very reasonable sum

It's not a great deal of silver....and a little goes a long way.

Dave

I forgot about Rio Grande - they're good people. Don't they have silver in thinner sheet?

A quick glance shows a large selection to 24 gauge. They may have it thinner. It might be worth a shot.

Could a talented jeweler not roll to thickness some silver sheeting? I was not aware of using such metal for bearings but if it cannot be sourced in the size needed, have it made.

BC1
Jim

AFAIK Silver makes a superb bearing surface. In WW2, Cu was in such incredibly short supply that they used silver as a replacement for Cu in things like bearings and even heavy electrical wiring.

But at $30 U.S. per ounce these days... ouch.

During construction of the electromagnets used to separate U-235 at Oak Ridge during WWII, the Army borrowed almost all the silver reserves of the US Treasury to make wire for the magnets because copper was so scarce.

Amazing - IIRC the battleships made during WW2 also used gigantic stranded silver cables to conduct electricity. They wanted all the copper to go to shells and shell casings. Which is why they made those steel pennies in 1943! And the pennies made in 1944 and 1945 came from scavenged and recycled shell casings used in battle.

1943_steel_penny.jpg

FWIW, I was wandering around the local Hobby Lobby today and in the K&S Metals section, there were sheets of Phosphor Bronze 0.008" x 5" x 7" or so for about $3.50. You may be able to find a K&S stockist up there.

shred said:
FWIW, I was wandering around the local Hobby Lobby today and in the K&S Metals section, there were sheets of Phosphor Bronze 0.008" x 5" x 7" or so for about $3.50. You may be able to find a K&S stockist up there.

Idea - Copper is available in an amazing assortment of sizes, much of it very fine. Cu alone is a good bearing surface but could be made better. How about cleaning, then gently heating (flux like crazy) and coat the Cu with a lead-tin alloy like regular soft solder? Or maybe use just tin. I can see the Cu forming a strong backing for the tin or tin/lead, and the tin/lead does the actual bearing work. And they can be renewed with more solder if they wear too much.

Back