Question of cleaning

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paint brush then dust pan and brush. Door mat to stop the swarf travelling:fan:
not that it works but it may keep you warm in the cree
If you find an old hoover remove the brush head the handle and any unwanted gubbins Smack a nail in a stud and hang it up out of the way. A large hoover becomes a lot smaller that way. A hand held aint going to suck it

I agree that a hand held vacuum cleaner does not have power for this job and it will surely get plugged up given the small waste container and entrance nozzle. A shop vac type where the top comes off and the drum easily emptied is the best. Mounting it on a wall is a solution but once in the shop you will find space for this very useful tool. Just tuck it under a bench.

Well a turn up for the books, went to B&Q tonight (as you do) and they have a small shop vac for £30 at the moment pointed it out to the missus, who came back with, " there's a small Hoover under the stairs that I kept as a spare, but it was too small and didn't like it as I had to drag it around", so either way found a vac, one for nowt, one for £30. I'll see tommorrow which option I go for once I've dug under the stairs after work. :) turns out we have three hovers in this house and I only knew of two of them.............and she has a go at me for hoarding tools hahaha

One thing to watch out for with the really small vac is the small diameter hoses which plug up easily. For that reason alone i would suggest the larger vac.

As you indicated though your shed is small and that is a problem for larger vacs. Suggestions here include putting the vac outdoors or up in the rafters. You can plumb PVC for the vac lines, just don't glue all the fittings.

Just some out of the box thinking for you.

You could run a larger unit mounted out of the way outside or in the roof and use a small home made cyclonic filter that catches most of the refuse mounted inside maybe up in a corner or up under a a bench.
I use a cheap wall mounted unit with an extended hose that reaches everywhere inside my garage 7m x 3.5 m and it is mounted half way along one wall .
You could get creative and plumb in a pvc line with different ports around your workshop so you only need to move a short hose around , biggest problem will be swarf jams in the pipes .
I am thinking of building a small cyclonic filter that i can walk around with so i have a short hose say 5 ft long that i use as the vacuum hose that runs to a portable cyclonic unit that sits on the floor and feeds out to another hose that runs to the vacuum unit .
Sounds complicated but hopefully it will stop hose blockages that annoy the hell out of me .!

Sounds complicated but hopefully it will stop hose blockages that annoy the hell out of me .!

I can only wish you better luck than has been my lot over--- more years than most.

I am using a LOT more horse power than most and things block.

My sit on Briggs and Stratton lawn mower blocks regularly, so does two stroke leaf sucker blower and my branch shredder along with my 'Henry' which my cleaning lady uses and the quite big wet and dry thing along with my barbecue ah extractor.

For what it is worth, anything 'wet' either with water or oil will foul things up and if your tooling creates 'bird's nests' from - err not having a chip breaker on a tool, something is going to foul up the works.

What people miss is the plain fact that there is an industry in cleaning blocked things. The workshop is only part! Making NEW appliances and selling them to people who expect miracles is yet another.

Sorry but?????

Norm

You could run a larger unit mounted out of the way outside or in the roof and use a small home made cyclonic filter that catches most of the refuse mounted inside maybe up in a corner or up under a a bench.
I use a cheap wall mounted unit with an extended hose that reaches everywhere inside my garage 7m x 3.5 m and it is mounted half way along one wall .
You could get creative and plumb in a pvc line with different ports around your workshop so you only need to move a short hose around , biggest problem will be swarf jams in the pipes .
I am thinking of building a small cyclonic filter that i can walk around with so i have a short hose say 5 ft long that i use as the vacuum hose that runs to a portable cyclonic unit that sits on the floor and feeds out to another hose that runs to the vacuum unit .

Sounds a good idea, like some of the others also but the poor lad only has a 6 x 4 shed, so even with a normal pitched roof there probably won't be enough room!!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

So ventured into the horders paradise under the stairs, and came back with this the no.3 hover that our lass has, it's small compact, baggless, with an easy empty container, with a cyclone, will stand vertically under the worktop, and has a long enough hose it'll reach most of the workshop from under the bench. It also has a cast in handle, which is strong enough to support the whole thing vertically so could be hung on the wall if I need the space.

Best bit it cost me nowt, and I'm all about owt for nowt

I can only try it, if it doesn't work or blows up then I haven't lost anything.

20171208_221849.jpg

20171208_222006.jpg

The comment about blockages is very real. They are to be expected and fast dis-assembly is a feature of a good shop vac. I prefer a short hose and two clips to remove the top from a small shop vac that is portable. The suction is best with a short hose as is ease of cleaning blockages. Your hoover is cute but better suited to cleaning the floor mats of your car, in my opinion. A small shop vac that can be bumped and banged, unplugged and dumped in a shop environment would be a better choice.

Just a thought for your consideration. On the other hand shop vacs are not expensive so this is not a major decision.

DJP, agreed, comments on blockages are very real, and I think I've already identified where the blockages are going to be, so the small end of the nossle will be first to go, the hose is accessible from both sides with the assistant of a long broom handle. The other area that's likely to cause a blockage is where the hose goes into the cylinder, as the hole is only half the size of the hose, (assuming to create the cyclone effect). Like I said if it's no good it'll go in the bin. :)

I have found that the best unblocking tool is what electricians use as a "snake" for pulling wires through conduit. This is a plastic strip available from hardware stores. The strip is actually used to join sheets of chipboard flooring and only cost a couple of bucks. Cheers, Peter

20171210_120648.jpg

My unblocking tool is whatever heavy bar of metal, that fit the hose, I have in reach. Gravity does the rest. Unless I am lazy and let the clog get so stuffed that the bar just compact it. But I learn fast.

Back