Quarter Scale Merlin V-12

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Terry:

Besides the "cool factor" of having a built in starter motor is there a reason you have discounted simply starting the engine with an electric drill on the shaft you already have available? That way you avoid all the worries about extra gears couplings and associated lock-up issues. I'd hate to hear about a disaster inside the engine.

Sage

I am still enjoying every update and the tremendous amount of research which is going in building this beautiful engine!

Hi Terry:

Besides the "cool factor" of having a built in starter motor is there a reason you have discounted simply starting the engine with an electric drill on the shaft you already have available? That way you avoid all the worries about extra gears couplings and associated lock-up issues. I'd hate to hear about a disaster inside the engine.

Sage
Sage advice ;)
It was originally 75% cool factor, but now it's a challenge that's hard to walk away without a solid technical excuse for doing so. Most of the breakage concern is with the entire starter system including the drill shaft input. If I can properly control the torque and speed from the electrical starter, I may not make things much worse. -Terry

I disassembled enough of the John Deere motor to see that internally it looks very similar to the 775 Nichibo for which I have electrical data. The 775 portion of the motor's part number indicates a standard physical size, but from what I've noticed during my online research the electrical specs can vary somewhat from one 775 motor to another. Since my unloaded rpm and current measurements of the two motors were nearly identical, I'm assuming the motors are the same except for some cosmetic differences. The John Deere version has a plastic boot wrapped around its lower end to block off air vents that would otherwise allow grass clippings inside the motor while the Nichibo has a stator flux shield wrapped around the outside of its housing.

After taking some time to think about the disappointing and puzzling tests that I ran a few days ago, I believe I now have an understanding of what happened.

The speed of a dc motor is directly proportional to the voltage applied to its terminals, and its constant of proportionality is Kv in rpm/volt. When a fixed voltage is applied to an unloaded motor, it will run at its unloaded speed and draw its unloaded current. When mechanical load is applied to the motor, its speed will decrease and its current will increase. Both of these changes are linearly related to the size of the load, and the slopes of their straight-line relationships are available from the motor's data. They can also be measured, but a calibrated mechanical load isn't a typical fixture in a home shop.

For the Nichibo motor, the speed decreases 71 krpm per ft-lb., and the current increases 268 amps per ft-lb. The maximum torque that the motor can supply is called its stall torque, and for the Nichibo this is .32 ft-lbs. The current at this torque is called the motor's stall current, and for the Nichibo this is about 88 amps. In general, as the Nichibo curves show, operating a motor near its maximum torque can be very inefficient, and the resulting internal dissipation will shorten the life of the motor. In briefly powered starter applications this may not be a major concern, but the motor's wiring and controls must be able to handle the additional wasted current.

As the load on the motor increases, its speed will drop, and its current will increase as predicted by the two linear constants. These constants are fixed by the physical design of the motor and are independent of the applied voltage. If the motor is spinning faster than desired under a given load, though, the applied voltage can be decreased to drop the speed of the motor. Likewise, if the motor is spinning slower than desired under a given load, the applied voltage can be increased but only up to the maximum working value specified for the motor.

An efficient way to manually vary a battery voltage applied to a motor is with the use of a PWM controller. This device will efficiently switch the voltage applied to the motor on and off at a high rate and at a duty cycle that can be manually controlled. The effective voltage applied to the motor will be the average value of the PWM waveform. The frequency of the switching should be much greater than the motor's ability to respond to speed changes. My tests on this particular motor showed that 240 Hz was much too low, 2.2 khz was OK, but 22 khz was much better.

The crude load test that I ran while gripping the prop shaft with my hand got the motor to draw 13 (average) amps while spinning the crankshaft about 1500 rpm. The measured average voltage applied to the motor was 2.8 volts. Therefore the duty cycle of the PWM worked out to be 2.8v/12v =23%, and all seemed well. I didn't realize at the time there was trouble brewing under the covers. The peak current supplied to the motor by the controller was 13a/.23 = 56 amps, and this was higher than the controller's continuous 40 amp rating which I mistakenly assumed was spec'd in terms of average current and not peak current.

The third test was performed with some of the spark plugs installed in order to approach the load that the starter will need to handle. Everything went wrong during this test. The motor wouldn't spin, the pot had little control over the controller's low output voltage, and the average measured current was off-scale at 30 amps.

After mulling over the tests and discovering my error about the misinterpreted current rating, I realized the controller was probably at least part of the problem. I replaced the 12 volt battery I was using with a pair of series-connected batteries which I hoped would allow me to source a little more power to the motor through the controller. This change got the motor just barely spinning with three spark plugs installed, but there were still significant hesitations at each of the three compression humps. The starter sounded very much like an old big block Chevy trying to start after its starter and solenoid had been over-heated by the engine's headers.

This test seemed to confirm that the controller was probably most of my problem. After installing all the spark plugs, I threw caution to wind and removed the controller completely so I could briefly energize the motor directly from the battery. The motor abruptly woke up and effortlessly spun the crankshaft. Over a number of test cycles I was able to measure the crankshaft spinning at 620 rpm while drawing 77 amps from the battery with 10 volts across the motor's terminals.

Although a lawn mower engine starter would likely have no issue with running at such an operating point, I'm uneasy about stressing the Quarter Scale's starting system with some 2-3 times more power than required because the motor is spinning faster than needed. If it weren't for my concern about the robustness of the starting system I would probably just add a starter relay to what I already have and be done with it. I have to admit that that its current high-pitch whine sounds pretty good.

Spinning the engine with the starter eventually became infectious, and I spent a lot more time playing with it than I probably should have. I was careful to keep the bearings and cylinder walls doused with oil since I don't yet have the oil pumps connected. As an aside, I placed a finger over the carburetor intake during one of the cranking tests. The suction was very strong and a good indication that the induction system is probably working as it should.

Even though the starter system has already survived several minutes of cranking time, I'd still like the ability to control its speed, and a PWM controller is still the most efficient way of doing this. This time I went shopping for one in the RC car/truck world where 70 amp brush motors need to be controlled. In this specialized marketplace the controllers are called ESC's (electronic speed controllers), and they're much smaller and more capable than the general purpose controller I've been using. Once more, eBay came to the rescue:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302145096583

I don't know what extraterrestrial technology the manufacturer of this PWM is using to be able claim 320 amps continuous operation within such a small package. Even though this time I realize they're talking about peak current, my expectations aren't high.

Seemingly, the main issue with adapting an ESC to a non-RC application is that these controllers have an input control port of their own that expects a small signal PWM control waveform from a servo. Fortunately, this input can be generated and manualły controlled by yet another piece of ($6) specialized RC hardware called a servo tester. Alternatively, some simple circuitry based upon a 555 timer can be breadboarded to do the same thing. My concern is that the ESC/servo tester combination that I've ordered may include some extra built-in intelligence to support bi-directional and dynamic breaking operation that could get in the way of my plans to use it as a simple single direction speed controller. - Terry

1287.JPG

Last edited:
Perhaps its possible to test load the motor by winding a weight on a rope with a pully directly connected to the motor. The same goed the other way round if this method can turn the engine over you can determine the power needed with some rpm's. It has to be a relative long rope but i assume its possible.

I don't know what extraterrestrial technology the manufacturer of this PWM is using to be able claim 320 amps continuous operation within such a small package.
Some of those use MOSFET transistors which have switched resistances better than relay contacts so the power losses are very low hence not a lot of heat.
Also for RC work this negates the need for a "full on" relay bypass - ditto in Slotcar hand controllers.

My experience with PWM systems is that there is sufficient inductance / capacitance in the output to give pure DC under load - you can't normally pick up the the PWM signature until you are close to or exceeding its rating.

I have yet to see a low voltage DC motor that you can't run at 2 - 3 times maximum voltage - apart from the caveat that it might not physically handle the rpm's and fly apart.

napoleonb's callibration suggestion is a good one - I used this very trick to calibrate a slotcar dyno (rolling road) that I built.

It looks like you are getting close to solving this.

Regards,
Ken

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302145096583
I don't know what extraterrestrial technology the manufacturer of this PWM is using to be able claim 320 amps continuous operation within such a small package.

I'm not familiar with that ESC or surface/car variants, but would have to agree... 320 amps seems <cough> optimistic. Sold with 14 AWG wire & cheesy bullet connectors that would make great fuses no less. Beware of ebay type stuff

Some of the car stuff on HobbyKing for example is ~what I would have guessed, sub-70A.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/speed-controllers-esc-1/car/x-car.html

Example 160A air ESCs look something like these. Re peak, correct. Vendors don't spec it as much anymore, but it used to worded like 100A continuous, 250A burst and **burst=3 secs duration, proper cooling yada-yada. I've seen +400A pumped through older gen 120A ESC's 2-sec bursts but that's a $$ magic smoke competition.
http://www.castlecreations.com/en/fixed-wing/phoenix-edge-hv-160-esc-010-0103-00
http://www.castlecreations.com/en/phoenix-edge-lite-hv-160-esc-010-0114-00

RC ESC's are getting very sophisticated & application-specific these days & I don't want to lead you astray. Most, unless they are hard wired into toy level ready-to-go models need to be programmed. Or worded another way, you may not receive it programmed in a state you require. This isn't quite as bad as it sounds but its very brand specific. In the case of Castle for example, you buy a USB>ESC cable called a CastleLink, download their free software, it recognizes the exact ESC model# & recommends any firmware updates. Then you just toggle desired checkbox entries & click save. The minus is extra effort & cost, the plus is total control: motor specs, F/R direction, source voltage, timing, current thresholds, ramping, de-select any undesirable things like governor.

I haven't done exactly what you are doing but I would expect this would give something like a servo tester box the best chance to be the 'rpm controller' to the motor replacing the RC transmitter throttle signal.

And while we are busy blowing the budget :) many brushless motors come in compact inline planetary gear drive flavours, 4.x:1 and 6.x:1 are typical
http://neumotors.com/planetary-gearboxes/

This might be helpful. You can pick motor/ESC/battery voltage combo's & it spits out various power outputs, efficiency, overload warnings & other curves of interest. Unfortunately you would have to trick it with propeller load, but might yield some insight
http://www.castlecreations.com/flight-calcs

SNAG-3-29-2017 0000.jpg

Last edited:
The 320 amp ESC and servo tester arrived. Neither came with instructions, but I was able to figure out the ESC's power-up calibration procedure by reading some online manuals for other manufacturers' RC equipment. I did some initial testing with the motor outside the engine until I was reasonably sure the combination was going to behave itself. After installing the motor on the engine, I got it to spin the crank for a few seconds before it died. As foreseen by Peter, the ESC's light duty power connector burned up and had to be removed. The connectors on its motor leads soon developed similar problems also had to be replaced.

I was able to make a couple brief tests to verify the controller was indeed capable of running at duty cycles approaching 100%. This was something I'd not been able to do with the previous PWM controller. Even though it had a cooling fan, the ESC became excessively hot after less than a minute of runtime. In short order, the motor refused to crank the engine because it too had become overheated.

The motor requires a minimum duty cycle of some 75% in order to crank the engine. During each test, the time spent searching for just the right operating point was evidently subjecting the motor to a lot of abuse. With an operating point located near 80% of stall, internal dissipation became a major issue during the time spent time dallying.

After this last experience I've concluded that my original idea of manually controlling this motor in this application is impractical. Adding fixed control isn't reasonable either since the engine load and battery output can be expected to change with time.

As I've accumulated more and more cranking time on the Quarter Scale, I've gained confidence in the ability of its internals to hold up under power from the John Deere starter motor. So far, the wheel case is the only component that hasn't been an issue. Even though the oil and coolant pump loads haven't yet been added, I'm close to deciding to just use this motor along with a starting relay. Before finally deciding, though, I plan to look at one more motor: an 820 size brush motor from a DeWalt hammer drill.

In the meantime, I'm wrapping up the remainder of the Quarter Scale's final assembly that can be done while the engine is still on its assembly stand. - Terry

1288.JPG

1289.JPG

Sorry to read of the setback Terry. Maybe a blessing in disguise. The other potential complication with ESC's when interpreting specs is, as a general rule, ESC's don't like running at sustained partial throttle. Worded another way, the ESC need to be sized appropriately to accommodate that. I know that's not your motor when its all sized, just thinking more this testing and R&D sizing mode.

This issue has to do with FET switching (and that's the red line of my electrical competence :)). But using a real world example, a motor drawing 50 amps on say a slightly undersized 35A continuous rated ESC might do that just fine at full throttle. But the setup trying to control partial throttle, low rpm typically goes thermal. Unfortunately, that generally means even more amp rating headroom = more $. That's kind of where I was going with the inline gear drive. The motor might be doing 30K at full throttle but say 4K at the shaft & operating in a happier band. But they are spendy.

Under a 'too much motor' potential damage scenario, I'm sure you've thought about clutch mechanisms & forgotten much more than I know. But I just so happen to be recently familiar with a clutch mechanism on my lathe that came into question. Its a relatively simple cup with 2 threaded holes. In each hole is a set screw + spring + bearing ball. It mates its opposing drive shaft which has a straight V groove. Progressive spring tension = higher torque. At a the point of decoupling it disengages... and makes for a heart stopping racket. Maybe something along these lines with a pre-set disengagement limit would at least protect the engine?

2017-03-30_17-53-57.jpg

SNAG-3-30-2017 0000.jpg

The last bit of assembly that can be done while the engine is still on its assembly stand is the final installation of the distributors and spark plug wiring. The wires on the full-size Merlins were routed to the plugs through straight sections of metal conduit attached to either side of the engine. In addition to organizing and protecting the wires, the conduit reduced electrical interference to the aircraft's onboard radio. The plug wires also had metal braids around them that not only enhanced rf shielding but also offered some protection against chaffing.

Not being concerned with radio interference, I ran the Quarter Scale's unshielded wiring through Delrin tubes for a similar look. Rigid black Delrin tubing isn't readily available, and so I drilled out the centers of a pair of half-inch diameter rods. The rods' centers were drilled/reamed to 3/8" in order to pass the bundles of six 1/8" (20 kV) plug wires. The exit holes for the wires were drilled at a shallow angle to the long axis of the tube so the wires could be easily fed through the conduit without damage. The tubes were attached to the cylinder blocks just below the coolant manifolds with three metal brackets. The Quarter Scale's documentation doesn't address the ignition system, and so I'd been wondering for some time about the purpose of three unused screw bosses on the manifold fittings.

Before installing the distributors, I rechecked the valve lash and cam timing before adding the valve covers. A borescope was used to peer inside the cylinders through the tiny side-mounted plug holes to determine the TDC's. The previously constructed degree wheel with its weird gap was invaluable for setting and measuring the cam timing. Even though I had synchronized the cams to the crankshaft back in December while recovering from my surgery, verifying the timing was pretty scary since now would have been a bad time for a mis-machined cam to show up to the party.

After feeding the numbered plug wires through the conduit, a shop-made insertion tool was used to press them in the distributor contact block. Slotted Delrin sleeves, inserted around the insulated ends of the wires, grip and hold them securely in the block so their bird-nested ends can make consistent electrical contact to the tower electrodes. When the distributor's wire cover is installed it bears down against the tops of these sleeves for added security.

The trigger disk is driven directly from the Oldham shaft, and an end screw is used to lock its orientation with respect to its reference piston's TDC. When tightened, this screw also locks the orientation of an internal distributor gear that drives a gear on the rotor. This arrangement allows the rotor to be aligned to the reference tower electrode even with the distributor already installed on the engine.

With the crankshaft rotated so the #1 starboard cylinder is at TDC of its power stroke, the starboard distributor with its Oldham coupler was installed on the engine. The trigger disk locking screw was loosened, and the rotor manually rotated until it was directly under the #1 tower electrode. This alignment was determined using a #52 drill inserted through the index hole on the face of the rotor housing. It will pass through a similar hole in the rotor when the rotor is aligned with the #1 tower electrode. Before tightening the locking screw, the trigger disk was also rotated to set the initial spark advance. This took a few tries since it must be done by trial-and-measure. I used 10 degrees initial advance. The Hall sensor arm on either distributor can be later rotated toward the front of the engine to add up to an additional 20 degrees advance. A machined cover which protects the trigger disk and magnet is left off for now, but it will be installed later after the engine is running and the final advance determined.

The plug wires were left long so temporary connectors could be soldered on their ends for connection to a bank of test plugs. Finally, the engine was spun by its drill starter to verify the plugs in each bank were all firing in their proper order.

The same procedure was repeated for the port-side distributor. The TDC of the #1 port-side cylinder was used to set up this distributor since its rotor index hole was also set up for tower electrode #1.

The boots for the spark plugs were made up of modified 1/8" x 1/8" right angle rubber automotive vacuum fittings (VACU-TITE 47409). The electrical connection to the plug electrode was made by rolling up a 1.1" stripped length of the stranded conductor into a ball before pushing the wire into the boot. I normally use more complicated but also more positive electrical connections inside the plug boots in my engines. The tiny size of the Viper plugs fought me on everything else I tried, though. The 1/8" plug wires are snug fits inside their boots, but I added a short length of shrink tubing to help keep them in place and to improve their appearance. - Terry

1290.JPG

1291.JPG

1292.JPG

1293.JPG

1294.jpg

1295.JPG

1296.JPG

1297.JPG

1298.JPG

1299.JPG

1300.JPG

1301.JPG

1302.JPG

1303.JPG

1304.JPG

OOO my good
Terry can not wait hear this engine ...........
your work is excellent i can not find words..
i admire your passion
good work continue your excellent work
:)

Words fail me Terry. That is among the finest pieces of model engine workmanship I have ever seen. I honestly don't understand how you do it.

Chuck

Thanks, all...

The DeWalt 820 motor (396505-21), used in a number of the company's battery-powered tools, has been adopted for use in large scale hot-rodded trucks by a number of RC enthusiasts. I couldn't find any real data on it other than some hobbyists' subjective comparisons between it and their high end Traxxas 775 motors. There seemed to be enough enthusiasm surrounding it, though, that I thought it was worth a quick look before finally wrapping up the starter work.

After realizing that my cranking tests haven't yet included the oil and coolant pump loads nor the inertial load of the huge four blade prop that's yet to be installed, I began wondering whether the John Deere motor will actually be up to the task. Hopefully I'll luck out and the extra loading will just drag the cranking speed down to where I wanted it in the first place. But, if the additional loads turn out to be too great, it would be nice to have a backup.

My own cursory measurements on the DeWalt showed an unloaded 15.5 krpm at 4.4 amps compared with 2.2 amps at 22 krpm for the 775. Although the DeWalt looks heftier than the 775, it's really only a bit larger. Its case is thicker, and its bearings and brush assemblies also look beefier. Cogging is much more noticeable in the DeWalt than in any of the other motors that I've tested and probably accounts for some of its excessive unloaded current draw.

I had to fabricate a new mounting plate for attaching the DeWalt to the Quarter Scale, but I was able to re-use the wheel case adapter machined earlier for the John Deere motor. I also had to make a new socketed Oldham shaft to insert over the DeWalt's pressed-on 28P 15t pinion. The machining of the even narrower .42" long splines for this gear, with its additional three teeth, really pushed the limits of the little .060" circuit board cutters used to cut them. Before I was finished I had broken a few of them.

The measured crankshaft cranking speed using the DeWalt was 855 rpm at 75 amps. I retested the John Deere in the same setup with the same battery and identical high-current connections. The result was 660 rpm at the same 75 amps. From these tests I concluded the DeWalt was putting out about 30% more torque than the John Deere.

The DeWalt motor was designed with a ventilated case and an internal fan for extended operation. It won't overheat as quickly as the John Deere which is sealed to operate in a harsh environment. Although I designed the DeWalt's mounting plate so most of the ventilation ports face toward the rear of the engine, I machined a pair of shields to cover those that still faced forward. A bottom cover, similar to the one on the John Deere, was also made to shield the motor's open brush assembly from the engine's oily wash. I turned both covers from black Delrin and machined slots in them for the fan's air intakes and exhausts.

I made a short Youtube video showing the Quarter Scale being cranked in both its manual and electric start modes. In the video, I used the John Deere 775 motor as the electric starter and my 3 year old Ryobi One 18V drill on the manual shaft. I don't have any video editing software or I would have spliced in a third run using the DeWalt. As things turned out, the runs with the two motors were so similar that a second video wouldn't have been all that i
interesting.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KfAOr2m5GGc[/ame]

I hope this wraps up the work on the starter. It turned into a bigger deal that I had anticipated, but the learning experience made it all worthwhile. My current plan is to use the John Deere motor since it seems to best meet my current needs. If I run into problems with overheating, or if its torque later becomes an issue, I'll have the DeWalt ready to go as a backup.

The next step is to come up with a running/display stand for the engine. I'll likely design it in parallel while fabricating some of the running gear needed to go around the engine to make it run. - Terry

1305.JPG

1306.JPG

1307.JPG

1308.JPG

1309.JPG

1310.JPG

1311.JPG

1312.JPG

How many turns of the crankshaft would you expect it to take before it fires? I assume that if it fires quickly then the load on the starter motor would be of very short duration.

Kvom,
Probably (at least I hope) the longest cranking time will be the several seconds it takes to prime the carburetor. - Terry

Last edited:
The Quarter Scale documentation recommends using a spin-on oil filter between the oil pump and the engine's pressure relief valve housing. An oil filter might be overkill, but it's worth a couple visual effects points. The smallest filters I could find in our local auto parts stores were 2.7" dia. x 2.6" tall motorcycle filters which are still large for a quarter scale engine. I eventually decided on a WIX 57712 filter only because it was painted black, and its i.d. information was printed on an easily removable label instead of being silkscreened directly on the filter itself. A mount was required so the filter can be eventually installed on the display stand right up next to the starboard side of the engine.

Oil filter mounts are readily available, but one advantage of making my own was that I was able to locate the input and output fittings where needed for a neat placement of the oil lines. For no good reason, I had always assumed that oil flows into one of these filters through its center hole and flows out through the surrounding holes. Fortunately, I did some checking before machining my mount and discovered that I've had it wrong all these years. It turns out that it's best for oil pressure to push the filter media against the metal support screen in the center of the filter. If oil flows in the reverse direction, it can rip the media away from the screen.

The 20x1.5 mm stud for the mount was turned from O-1 drill rod and then hardened before being Loctited in the mount. Standard 3/16" compression fittings were used since they match the ones used on the pressure pump and relief valve housing.

After bead blasting the mount and installing the filter, the whole thing seemed just too big and out of place for the engine. I went looking online for something smaller and came across an obscure post from someone on social media who had just purchased an oil filter for his push lawnmower and was poking fun at it because of its tiny size. I looked up its part number from the photo he had posted (Oregon 83-030, replacement for Briggs & Stratton 795990 filter), and sure enough Amazon had both of them in stock.

After receiving one each of them, it was obvious that their 1.9 inch diameters were much closer to what I was looking for, and so I started all over. I was hoping to at least reuse the PITA threaded stud that I had made for the first mount, but the new filter used a slightly different 3/4"x16 stud. Since I had to make a second pass through the mount design, I added some cosmetic improvements, and final result turned out to be well worth the do-over. I'm even becoming attached to filter's yellow body. - Terry

1313.JPG

1314.JPG

1315.JPG

1316.JPG

1317.JPG

1318.JPG

1319.JPG

1320.JPG

1321.JPG

1322.JPG

1323.JPG

1324.JPG