Quarter Scale Merlin V-12

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry
Best regards and a speedy recovery. Health is very important and I will be praying for you. Don't worry the surgeon has probably done hundreds by now and with luck you will not need surgery.
Get well soon
Nelson

Terry: Best of luck. We need you back quickly to inspire us to be better machinists. Without your high standards to emulate we will fall back to mediocrity! See you around someday soon I hope. Ron Colonna

Hello Terry

As all readers of your build sequence may I wish you well with your operation and I look forward to your future articles when back in the shop again.

xpylonracer

Best wishes and speedy recovery Terry. It's incredible how inspiring your work is for the rest of the community. You are pushing all of us to be better machinists just to try to close the huge gap between your skills and ours. Hope to read you again soon! We'll be here waiting

Terry
your health is first of all
hope to recovery soon you are strong.
will wait to see that engine runs ..
good luck my friend

Terry:
I wish you all the best with your surgery and hope you have a speedy recovery. We'll all be waiting for more inspiration when ever you are ready.

Something less important for you to think about during your recovery:
I might be confusing the Trimble method with several others I've read about but I believe you are supposed to make the rings a thou or two over the required OD and the last step (perhaps you left out) after heat treating and cleaving is to put a stack of rings on a mandrel that is the inside diameter of the finished rings and compress them (perhaps with a cylinder temporarily slipped over them). The mandrel is threaded on the end so you can put a washer and nut on and clamp the rings while they are compressed to tightly fit the diameter of the mandrel. Then you skim the outside diameter to the proper OD (therefore making them round).

I've always just made them to finished size and ignored the last step because my lathe usually has more run out than the amount required to be skimmed off. I haven't had a smoking engine yet right from startup (knock on wood).

All the best and we hope to hear from you soon.

Sage

Edit: I went back and looked at the many articles I have. It was Professor Chaddock that proposed skimming the rings to size as the last step. Although I had no success with it because of my equipment I'm sure Terry could pull it off. Perhaps this is a good way to get nice round rings.

Dad got an aortic valve a few years ago and a few bypasses while in there. Do what they say and take the recovery seriously. All the best to you! Attitude is everything! Take care!

Hi Terry , coming up for the 4th anniversary of my CABGx3.
Just bought a motorbike . never felt better, but I will admit that recovery took a while.
Good luck and welcome to the Zipper Club ..

Ralph

and all the best wishes, and fast recovery
from the guy who´s mostly lurking around

Hi Terry
Best wishes Mate!
Pete

Terry;

Take your time with the recovery - top priority :thumbup:. I for one will go back to the start of this fantastic thread and bide my time while I wait for your return. Keep us posted on your recovery.

As a newbie to model machining you have no idea how much this thread has inspired and educated me.

Get well !

Cheers Garry

Thanks everyone for your well wishes - they seemed to have worked.
It's been just over a week since my surgery, which went pretty much as the doctors expected, and after a week I'm finally home from the hospital. I'm still in some pain, and it's difficult to take even moderately deep breaths, but it's up me to work through that and re-build my endurance. I'm still very loopy from the pain medication I'm taking, and so it will be at least another week before I trust myself enough to go back into the shop. I was told I wouldn't be able to lift more than five pounds or so for the first couple weeks of recovery, and so before I went into the hospital I spent some time machining the parts and fixtures I would need for the Merlin's final assembly. Final assembly, which will be the next step, will require more patience and thought than strength, and so I should be up to handling it soon. - Terry

Great to hear of a positive result Terry. Don't rush back into the shop though - take care of yourself. The Merlin will be waiting for you.

Latest posts

Back