QCAD

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SignalFailure

Reaction score
I've only seen one mention of this program on HMEM (by arnoldb). I've been trying it for the last few days and have to say it's pretty impressive and incredibly 'bloat free'.

The program source code is 'open source' (i.e. available to anyone to use or modify as they wish) although a pre-compiled (ready-to-run) Windows version of the program doesn't seem to be available via their website.

There is however a Windows version ('pre-compiled windows binary') on their page at Sourceforge here... http://qcadbin-win.sourceforge.net/

Download and try it (only 4Mb!), it's free to use.

Thanks for the mention Paul.

Yes - I use QCad and for the most part it does what I want rather easily.

It is not quite as intuitive as some other Windows-based cad programs; the user interface takes some getting used to.
On the other hand, there was a recent post where someone struggled to get lines to connect to circle circumferences (for a con-rod); this type of thing is a doddle in QCad.

Also, the community edition does not support scripting and poly lines. I have never had a need for scripting, but have missed the poly lines, but get by without that.

Just a note for the 3D people - unfortunately, the free version of QCad does not do 3D - if you buy the Pro version, you get basic Isometric functions.

Usual disclaimers apply.
Regards, Arnold

[EDIT]: Sorry Paul, I see that you posted had the problem I mentioned above. Did you get it done with QCad?

Thanks Arnold. Yes it's pretty straightforward in QCAD to connect the line and circle - as it is in TurboCAD LE once you know how!

To be honest I think the UI for most of these CAD programs is pretty dire (I think I've tried all the freeware or opensource ones and a few demo versions!). The scrolling and zooming is mostly 'stodgy' and they tend to be overloaded with often cryptic icons. QCAD is at least better in both repsects.

If it wasn't for a few small ommisions I'd probably use OpenOffice Draw instead - for 2D it's quicker and cleaner IMHO.

Best regards

Paul

Latest posts

Back