Putting some grip (stippling) on an aluminium drive pulley.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who find suggestions of making safety messages in videos really hard work and onerous I suggst that you watch this 3 minute example by Keith Appleby and note his comments at 2:50 onwards and tell me that is difficult to to do - this is not for video 'skimmers':

Terry D

That was a Myfordboy video and there were dozens of safety omissions.
The very first thing he did was grip a copper tube in a three jaw chuck.......Not at all recommend for a novice. The tube can easily deform and fly out of the chuck.
He then reaches over an unguarded rotating chuck......
I could go on and on.....
Where do you draw the line ?
It’s best to say nothing except perhaps don’t try this yourself.
I recently did a course/ test which needed a nine point check to ensure an electrical supply was isolated........🙄

Sincere apology for the confusion, for some reason it is the wrong video on my last post, I think that I let if auto feed onto the Myfordboy video, here is the one I referred to earlier:

TerryD

Ok, now I really like Keith’s videos and I’m certainly not knocking him.
He makes no mention of using a blow lamp in a well ventilated area.
Make sure the heat can’t reach any flammable liquids or old oily rags.
Check your exit is clear if something does catch fire.
Have a fire extinguisher to hand.
If you have no natural light make sure you know where to put the hot torch if the lights go out.
Check your gas regulator is attached correctly and not leaking.
Use a proper hearth or fire proof area.
Be careful that your torch hose won’t get tangled whilst soldering, it could cause you to drop the burning torch........
I could go on....

I just noticed the last mention of Chernobyl impling that it was the fault of the 'Safety Test'. No, it was the fault of the lack of a proper risk analysis as part of a safety Procedure, there is a difference, subtle but a difference between a test and a procedure.

The engineers at Boeing obviously missed a proper risk analysis and to be fair so did the engineers at Airbus who suffered a similar problem in the late 1980s (but now overlooked) but i would have thought that the former should have learned from the mistakes of the latter. I could mention the Spanish programmers who almost destroyed the large Lloyds bank in hte UK for lack of a proper risk analysis as part of their procedure. Hence my lack of confidence in IT systems (with my Software Engineering hat on!)

My point is that it is not safety tests or procedures which cause the problems but inadequately planned ones - human error again.

TerryD

That was a Myfordboy video and there were dozens of safety omissions.
The very first thing he did was grip a copper tube in a three jaw chuck.......Not at all recommend for a novice. The tube can easily deform and fly out of the chuck.
He then reaches over an unguarded rotating chuck......
I could go on and on.....
Where do you draw the line ?
It’s best to say nothing except perhaps don’t try this yourself.
I recently did a course/ test which needed a nine point check to ensure an electrical supply was isolated........🙄

Yes he leant over an unguardeed chuck but with plenty of room and no loose clothing in sight, not near a rotating blade with a few mm to spare. There was a wood plug in the tube which he had done and emphasised in an earlier video.

I did recognise my mistake, rectified it and posted an apology with a link to the intended video. Which is more than some do on here.

As for checks on electrical work, I would much rather err on the safe side with an invisible enemy ready to strike....... Enough said?

TerryD

Yes he leant over an unguardeed chuck but with plenty of room and no loose clothing in sight, not near a rotating blade with a few mm to spare. There was a wood plug in the tube which he had done and emphasised in an earlier video.

I did recognise my mistake, rectified it and posted an apology with a link to the intended video. Which is more than some do on here.

As for checks on electrical work, I would much rather err on the safe side with an invisible enemy ready to strike....... Enough said?

TerryD
Terry I would have to disagree when it comes to too much safety.
You can teach people to check the test kit, make the test, recheck the test kit.......
In reality test the circuit you intend to work and make sure the test kit is set properly.
If you spend too much time buggering about it is easy to miss the important part of the test.
As for your video shown in error, it still shows it as acceptable to reach over a rotating unguarded chuck. How much above it is not relevant.

My goodness terryd, you really do take yourself very seriously don’t you? How many posts have you made now? How many words?

BTW, not only did you post the wrong video, you called him Keith Appleby. Perhaps you need to slow down a bit?

Last edited:
By the way to those who think that some of the safety stories on here are made up, I can assure you that all of the examples I quoted were true, real incidents and I could have quoted quite a few more examples from my 60 odd years in industry and education, some of which are very gory involving heavy machinery and fragile flesh and bone. Many of these caused by taking short cuts by very experienced operators. In fact it was their very experience, over confidence and familiarity which failed them.

As an aside, a few weeks ago the traffic police in Canada pulled over a Tesla self driving car on a major motorway because the 'driver' and his passenger had reclined their seats and were taking a nap. the 'driver' couldn't see what the problem was as the car could drive itself - common sense in action.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news...l-of-self-driving-car-going-93mph/ar-BB199FEb
TerryD
I can confirm the Tesla story or was within my area of Alberta
By the way to those who think that some of the safety stories on here are made up, I can assure you that all of the examples I quoted were true, real incidents and I could have quoted quite a few more examples from my 60 odd years in industry and education, some of which are very gory involving heavy machinery and fragile flesh and bone. Many of these caused by taking short cuts by very experienced operators. In fact it was their very experience, over confidence and familiarity which failed them.

As an aside, a few weeks ago the traffic police in Canada pulled over a Tesla self driving car on a major motorway because the 'driver' and his passenger had reclined their seats and were taking a nap. the 'driver' couldn't see what the problem was as the car could drive itself - common sense in action.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news...l-of-self-driving-car-going-93mph/ar-BB199FEb
TerryD
I can confirm the Tesla story it was not far from me in central Alberta a few weeks ago,

I was a pilot & logistician in the US Army and once a maintenance tech. Long story . . . Whenever I heard someone say "it'll be ok" I knew with 100% surety they weren't planning on being there when the fecal matter started spraying. Once turned down an aircraft when the mechanic, who had probably been doing it a long time, retorqued a bolt in the rotor head assembly without writing it up or getting a tech inspector to sign it off. Didn't argue with him. But the Main. officer was royally hacked off that I spoiled his time-to-maintenance flow demanding another aircraft. Until I returned. Then he sheepishly showed me a steel shaft 2/3 gone eaten away by an aluminum crank arm. A ticking time bomb if ever I saw one. Yea "It'll be OK."

Ron
Rubbish ?

I enjoy reading about these kinds of issues so I can learn from them. About two weeks ago I reached to check a piece of work in my vice, I got my thumb a little to close to the milling cutter and took my thumb nail clean off. It could have been my whole thumb. Even old guys like me can do dumb things. What I need most is to be educated and not humiliated.

Jim D.

Back