Pug

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SignalFailure

Reaction score
Nearing completion of the construction phase of this little piston-valve controlled engine. Here it is held in a vice powered by a foot-pump - especially pleasing as I haven't even made a gland nut or lapped the valve face where it meets the cylinder yet (you can see gaps between the two at present!)

Outline plans here, final detailed (metric) plans to follow... http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=4870.0

So far I'm pretty pleased with this one as I designed it from scratch and built it from whatever was to hand (steel, brass and bronze) ;D As the stroke is short it seems ok without any crosshead guide/support. The only real modification I'd make is to use a split eccentric strap (or at least re-arrange the standards) to make setting the timing easier.

[youtube=425,350]Whka7JQMEsY[/youtube]

Smoothed it out a bit, now runs reasonably well on a couple of PSI from the aquarium pump. Just need to make all those tedious screws and a stuffing box (for show!)...

[youtube=425,350]7snUNQGQWR0[/youtube]

Man I do like those slide valve type engines! Especially when they go down to just a tick. Well done job. :bow: I have DL'd your drawings and may have a go at a 'Pug' one of these days, it appears to be relatively straight forward and the short coupling makes the job even easier. :big:

BC1
Jim

Cheers Jim.

Couldn't resist hooking it up to my test boiler for a blast :D

[youtube=425,344]XlwhpwRWlM8[/youtube]

Paul, that sounds real good! ;D Something about the ever present hiss of steam power to get one going in the morning. I may have a go at 'bashing' your design but I really do enjoy "The Pug".
It reminds me of a "Little Gem Dandy" with out a cross head in some ways. (by the way, you lost a head screw Rof} )

BC1
Jim

Seeing as how it actually runs I thought I'd better tart it up just a little ;D

Made a new con-rod and replaced the ugly grub-screw that was sittin on the eccentric with an oil cup. Turning 6mm rod down to 2mm between the con-rod ends was a bit fiddly - had to grind away part of my left/right handed HSS tools to fit in the gap.

Might put some holes in the flywheel and eccentric strap to reduce the mass.

Sheesh, this should be in 'work in progress'...sorry! :p

pugrod.jpg

Note to self - must make a better job of hiding the errant holes ;)

That is areally cool little engine. I also compliment you on your selection for a photographic backround as well. ;D I will have to have a go at one of these when I get the chance.

BC1
Jim

I made two different screw-in connectors for running on air or steam and a displacement lubricator for use on the latter. Here it is hooked up...

pug_with_disp_lube.jpg

Really must do something with that flywheel and saw off the excess shaft (so useful for tweeking the engine or connecting to power when running in though!)

Great work Paul! :bow:

As for those plugged holes; If nothing ever needed repaired
there wouldn't be much of a demand for qualified machinists.
;)

Rick

Nice job Paul on that nice engine....!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Cheers Paolo

Nice job!

I have an aquarium pump that really needs an engine.

Thanks.

Kevin.

Paul,

Very nice little engine :bow: and another for running it on steam. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks for the kind words people.

Bob, maybe there should be a separate forum section for those with a specific interest in steam? I know I've got plenty of questions I'd like to put in there! ;D

Thanks for sharing your design,

Here is a computer model of it;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32GGfCqh-a4[/ame]

Kevin, that's fantastic!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

It really shows off the simplicity and small number of parts to great effect especially the exploded view.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to do that, I feel really chuffed (haha) now!

Paul.

Latest posts

Back