Prototype three rotor steam impulse turbine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Impressed would be an understatement!!! :bow:

Just two questions....

1) How were the inlet manifold pipes fixed into the aluminium body?

and

2) Have you got the fanfare ready for the start of the vid' ? I think both yourself and Butch deserve one ;D (The beginning to 'jump around' by House of pain springs to mind!)

Ralph.

Thank you very much for your comments. I do hope that this does give inspiration to people to try something on their own.
This post wasn't done as an exercise to make one of these engines, but one could be made if you follow the basic instructions and ask a few questions.
It was to show, that with a little lateral thinking, mind numbing problems can be sorted fairly easily with just a few basic machining tools, bits you have about your workshop that you wouldn't have thought of using, and working out a sequence of machining. At times, a pencil is more powerful than a cutting tool.

If you look at the top of the main block, just above the fwds nozzles, you will notice two grub screw holes. There is one below the rev nozzle as well. They hold it all together.

I would also like to point out the reason I use stainless fasteners most of the time.
Three reasons, the first is they look nice, second is that they are almost as cheap as normal fasteners, and the third and most important, stainless screws like this, have a natural tendency to 'grab' into the material it is being tightened into, so I save a lot of time, effort and money not having to use Loctite to stop it falling apart.

No fanfare, but maybe a bit of 'Hell' by the Tiger Lillies.

I was going to call it 'Marvus Aurelius', but I didn't have enough rhinestones to put all that on the side. Maybe the next one.

John

Bogstandard said:
I was going to call it 'Marvus Aurelius', but I didn't have enough rhinestones to put all that on the side.

Then the music damn well better be something from Wagner. A selection from Das Rhinegold would be appropriate since that's where rhinestones get their name (not to mention I suspect you are a bit of a Nibelung since you like shiny objects so well :) )

Apologies John, Just went back on a read through, found it on page two ... figured it must have been here somewhere... It's been a while since I read that page!!

'Hell'... cool tune (Interesting taste! :-\ ... sounds a bit like miss piggy to me!! Good lyrics though ;D )

Odly enough I watched 'Gladiator' this afternoon... The Ceaser in parody was in that!
'Marcus Aurelius' Found some good quotes on my little net quest though...
'Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish. '

You see you got me wondering what that was all about ...I think I was looking too deep!? (was it just about the bling fairies? ;D )

Now Marv just posted and I got more stuff to look up.... man this post is an education ??? (still got to do my maths homework too!! :big: )

Ralph.

(Maybe a bit of Richard Strauss from '2001'? :big: )

Marv,

I am a big softy really, Wagner is a bit harsh for me, I prefer Verdi.

Ralph,

The tune and trio was first brought to fame in the film Plunkett and Mclean. I have been following this one off trio for many years. If you want something a bit way out, that is what to go for. I think I have every track they have ever released.

It was a play on words - Marcus - Marvus, and Marv just loves rhinestones. He can't get enough of them, and would bathe in them if he could.
John

Bogstandard said:
Marv,

I am a big softy really, Wagner is a bit harsh for me, I prefer Verdi.

It was a play on words - Marcus - Marvus, and Marv just loves rhinestones. He can't get enough of them, and would bathe in them if he could.

Wagner harsh! Bite your tongue you philistine. :)

I believe it was Mark Twain who coined the world's best left-handed compliment with his assessment, "Wagner's music is better than it sounds."

Oh, and I only bathe in American beer. It's the only thing to do with the vile stuff - it's undrinkable and too weak to remove paint or rust.

Marv,

What would the world be like if we all had the same taste in music, and who would choose it in the first place. Could you imagine everyone singing along to 'tiptoe through the tulips' by Tiny Tim (could he just be the Nibelung you mentioned, he would be the right size, going by his name).

Big John

At last, had a break in the weather, so I will tell you how it went.

My little compressor is starting to turn up its toes, after twenty years of continuous use, the poor thing is ready to be recycled. It is struggling to give me 30psi, even running continuously. So I couldn't get any meaningful readings from the tacho.

It gave a reading of 16,500 RPM with the compressor gasping for breath trying to keep up with the turbine. So until another is purchased, that will have to do.

But already I have data from this one major trial. Three rotors are not needed, two will be perfect. The weight of the rotor is fairly critical, if I can get it to half the weight, I think it will be ideal. The nozzles worked just as I expected, spot on, and the control valve worked faultlessly.

So all round, a good days running, and going from what I saw and heard, the speed should definitely be well above 30k RPM, just as predicted.

So out with the hankies to dry your eyes, as you say goodbye to this little motor. The music on the vid is a Welsh lullaby.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Ey8v7fgig[/ame]

John

Very good job John!!! That handle you made is cuter than a bug! And the exhaust works great! It inspired me to get working on my Tesla turbine a bit today:eek:)

Later, Wes

Absolutely fabulous, John. Outstanding! I'm green with envy.

Two questions...

I may have missed it in one of your original posts but is the final form of this engine intended for a model ship? If so, what sort of model? Will it be a model of the Turbina (I hope)?

Is that Charlotte Church singing? I have most of her CDs and she's just fabulous.
The Welsh certainly have a knack for singing. Regardless, it's a great choice of music for the video (much better than Wagner).

Thank you gents.

Just to answer Marv's questions.

I was asked by an American gentleman to build a pair of turbine engines to power a 10ft long destroyer model. I told him I would build a prototype to see if it was a viable proposition to power a model in this way. Hence what you are seeing is the test bed prototype.
I think you have the wrong gender Marv, she is in fact a he before his voice broke. I can't be positive, but I am almost sure it is a young Aled Jones of 'Snowman' fame. It was a track from the film 'Empire of the Sun', and yes, the Welsh have perfect voices for this sort of music, even when talking in their native language, they sound as though they are perfectly in tune.

John

Bog,

Very nice work! It is a shame the compressor was trying to lay down, but I would say you have a very successful prototype there even at 30 or so psi. The control valve is astonishing - very simple design, yet very effective.

The exhaust of the turbine is much quieter than I expected. The manifold and pipes do a great job of quieting it down it appears, and even on a rapid reverse.

The music on the video was fun. I thought it sounded like a track from Empire of the Sun when I watched it and you confirmed that with your post above. Haven't seen that movie in years, but it had an amazing sound track. Great choice and a nice video intro as well.

Once again, thanks for taking all of us along for the build. I am sure that every person watching the "show" has picked up something to help them out in the future. I know I certainly did! And that's not possible unless someone takes the time to document, picture, and post the project through all phases as you have done here.

So here's a big warm :bow: for all of your efforts!

:bow: :bow: :bow: .... Now that's a video with style!! and a damn good choice of tune ;D

Congratulations John on a fantastic job well done. This whole post has sent my brain into overdrive wanting to borrow your ideas and add a few of my own... Thank you very much.

Now all I got to do is get my lathe fixed and finish what I already started, then I really got to try to do one of these!! ;D

Ralph.

Thank you all again for the inspirational comments. In an upper crust voice 'One has to do ones best, you know'.

Ralph,

If you want to try a basic turbine, I built one before on here, and gave me the insight to build this one.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=244.0

Much easier and quicker to make, that one only took three of my days.

No speed control, and it goes like stink.

John

Thank you John, I have just read through it and will use the information from both and see what I can come up with. ;D (think I'll avoid Tattoomike's approach though! :eek: )

I've been ill and housebound since Tuesday and the first time I tried to get back out into the shop Saturday afternoon the main drive belt snapped on my lathe. :(
So when I finally get that sorted I'm going to start on my treadle engine again... I will finish this one before I start another!!

Ralph.

Latest posts

Back