Protective lacquer for parts

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrout13

Reaction score
I'd like to ask for some recommendations on what kind of protective lacquer to apply over some steel parts? The parts are 12L14 which I plan on bluing and coating with lacquer to avoid any rust issues. These parts will not be subject to any wear (they aren't reciprocating or sliding). Any help would be appreciated!

If you Blue them do you need Lacquer coating. My guns that are 50 years old have bluing and oil, still look good.

I have clear coated polished brass, oldest I have is only three years looks as good as the day I sprayed it. That was material called Wheel Kote made by Plastic-Kote used for coating polished AL wheels. From the Auto parts store.

I use Crown Mold and Die saver on tools that are not used often, or cutters that I just sharpened. It dries to a dull waxy feeling coating, great for storage, but not for looking at or handling. Cleans off quickly with Brake Cleaner and other solvents.

For blued surfaces, I would not coat, but just oil. Gun oil works well to clean and protect.

For other surfaces, I used Krylon spray clear laquer. I bought it at the hardware store. One thing I learned is to heat the part slightly. Helps to level the coat. Cover with a box after spraying, and resist looking at it until overnight drying. Otherwise, you could get dust on the part, and ruin the finish.

Hi Ray,

The original coatings on cork floats (such was used on the J-3 Piper Cub fuel gage) is butyrate dope. It is still used on balsa wood RC airplanes. Try your local hobby shop or Google - clear hot fuel proof butyrate dope.

Kenny

Latest posts

Back