Project of the month rules?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cedge said:
Thanks Tel...
That does indeed seem to be the prevailing consensus. "It ain't really really broke, broke"

This crew has given us some things to mull over and perhaps some of the ideas will lead to tweaks and/or fine tuning down the road. All of that probably depends on technical and labor considerations. Only time will tell.

I've watched this thread closely, just in case it achieved critical mass and became contentious. It has run longer than expected and remained among the most peaceful of its type I've encountered on any forum.

Each of you is to be commended for your interest, concerns and opinions. Even more important is the thought each of you put into your posts and responses. If it changes nothing, we've at least learned that we hold basically similar ethics and philosophies concerning how we want to honor our own. That, in my book, makes this quite a beneficial discussion.

Steve

Steve,

We are the best forum on the planet after all....... ;D

Nicely done all, I have been watching to....you all are to be commended.......OK so vote already..

Dave

Hang on a minute!

According to the nominations needed thread, the first 3 nominations were: Gail in NM Lobo Pup, Orrin, Half Scale Moriya, MB open column.

But I think something funny is going on, because I'm sure I saw someone nominate Manfred Albert's Flame Licker from Castings in the first 3 - but it's gone?

Nick

Again.... POM is not meant to be a monthly contest, but a way to say "good job" to a builder who went the distance and completed a nice project. Any more or less renders it a very shallow exercise. No one is required to participate and no one is going to put up with restrictions on their freedom to build as they please. HMEM welcomes all builders of all skill levels with any sort of shop equipment and that is why most of us hang out here. Let's try to keep it that way.

Many, many moons ago, when this site was in it's infancy, discussions took place about the picture at the top of the page, I for one was getting fed up at looking at the picture of my half built elbow engine.

It was almost agreed that it would be a pull it out of the hat job.

This would then give the newbies and the not so skilled amongst us to see their creation up in lights for a month, whereas now, it seems that unless you have great skill or loadsa cash to throw at things, you will never ever aspire to see your pride and joy on display. Almost a case of haves and have nots.

To me, the newbie who has his little badly simply made oscillator has just as much right to have his day of glory than some of the old hands who seem to be able to turn out masterpieces at will. I am sure the newbie in fact is more proud of getting his first runner than almost anyone else who has subsequently gone on to build better and more complicated engines.

Make it fair for all, not just a few.

Just my two pence worth.

Blogs

However things are done, I think there will always be some people who disagree with the final decision taken on this. After all, if we always agreed on everything, although life would be simpler, it would IMHO be rather boring.

Rather than posts being aired generally, might it be more constructive for one of the administrators/mods to be nominated (lucky them!!) and then for all views on this subject (both now and in the future) to be PM'd to them?

They should get a "feel" for whether there is general unease about something rather than there being a few folks whose views seem to be predominant simply because they post them most often?

Great site, and whatever the decision, congrats. to all admin. and mods. for their levelheadedness :bow: :bow:

Happy Christmas, A

I'll own up to be shamelessly self-serving and tacky by bringing my half-scale Moriya to everyone's attention. I'll face the music like a man.

My Stuart Beam engine was nominated by someone else on its own merits. That was good enough for me. On impulse, I provided the link to the Moriya. I should have put it into the photos and videos section and let nature take its course.

I'll take my lumps for my poor judgement.

This is not to make excuses for myself, but let's think about this: Don't you think that most--if not all--of the "looky what I did" posts are somewhat self-serving?

Best regards,

Orrin

Orrin said:
Don't you think that most--if not all--of the "looky what I did" posts are somewhat self-serving?

Orrin,

IMHO it depends on your perspective or outlook……….Yes it is gratifying to receive a compliment for your efforts, it’s even more gratifying to have others copy your tooling, setup, jig, etc. and it is most gratifying when you learn something from a “looky what I did” post.

Best Regards
Bob

I don't really see how someone like George B. would be putting up a "looky what I did" project. I'm sure he's aware of his skills. Same for many others on this forum. The guys who are doing that type of work know they have something to share with the rest of us, and I'm grateful for it.

I have to admit I've struggled with a reply.

But first off...Orrin...don't sweat it. Really.

As for self-serving...I also have to admit I'm not much a believer in altruism.
I do get a kick out of people recognizing what I do.
I also get a kick out of people learning from me..whatever it is.

Pretty much what Maryak said.

This time of year even...people feel good about themselves when they give to the less fortunate. Nothing wrong with that. It would be a sad world indeed if we didn't feel good about doing good.

I see that Dean posted while I was writing...

When I started out as an engineer, it was 'looky what I did'. I needed the encouragement. Later, I got more enjoyment out of teaching (and I like the fact that they think of me as a teacher).

Ah well...this can turn into a real deep philosophical discussion. When I get this way, a friend of mine sometimes interrupts me with..."Metal!"

Personally, I love looking at what other people did....regardless of motivation for posting it here....I learn something and it makes me think....how'd they do that?......If we boost each others egos in the process....so what?....It's not illegal, immoral or fattening. Lord knows there's someone in our everyday lives who will go out of their way to rain on any parade..but this bunch understands. Words don't need much measure beyond making sure they aren't misunderstood, and we all rib eachother a bit sometimes, but in good humor an fine taste. No one is harmed, and we learn something, and I get to talk to a great bunch of friends.....If I get to give back something in exchange for all who have given to me in the process, I'm tickled pink, and I really enjoy the teaching part immensely.

"... aint found the broke part yet....?"

Orrin
If my comments crossed a line, I'm also up for taking my lumps. I knew it was going to be dicey but I really tried to avoid pointing a finger at any individual while attempting to give an honest answer. If I failed, then I failed with the best of intentions.... and for that I openly offer you my personal apologies. It was not my intent to do damage to anyone... especially you.

It appears the thread is beginning to spiral off its original course, so I'm hoping it will be allowed to die a natural death. It served an important purpose but it still has the potential to get out of control. Let's avoid that, if possible.

That being said, if the new subject line that is apparently developing warrants discussion, why not start it again...... in its own thread. I'd even be quite happy to participate.

Steve

If my comments crossed a line, I'm also up for taking my lumps. I knew it was going to be dicey but I really tried to avoid pointing a finger at any individual while attempting to give an honest answer. If I failed, then I failed with the best of intentions....
Cedge, don't sweat it. For sure, I'm not. No, you didn't cross the line. I did. I didn't realize that a nomination was such an honor. I thought the result of the vote was the big deal, not the nomination.

Orrin

Back