Project of the Month - February 2017

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelton

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations apointofview

you are the builder of the​

A Smaller Steam Engine

HMEM Feb 2017  ImageUploadedByModel Engines1485794122.535598.jpg

Read about the build on this thread

And it is featured on the cover of the HMEM Facebook page

Congratulations Pete. :thumbup:

A beautifully built engine + great build = a well-deserved POM.

Thanks again for taking the time to post a log I enjoyed every bit of it.

Wow thanks everyone !!! This is something I never expected, I had no idea my little build would be spotted and seen as something that would be worthy of the project of the month. I have everyone on this site to thank for posting their work and showing how they carve metal to make all the wonderful machines on this site. I have learned a lot from the HMEM community and wouldn't have been able to build this engine without you !!!!
It will be awhile before I really believe it
Pete

I started this but hit a wall when I had to cut threads for the con rods. What size did u use and how in the world do u do such small delicate stuff? I stop at 2-56!! I have the frame and cylinders , pistons, valves but am stimied on the con rod ends.Help. Pics of tapping? Thanks Swift752 Bob

stevehuckss396 thanks !!!

Bob sorry I looked for more pictures of those rods but I didn't have anything else. I also stop at 2-56 and what I did is make the rods thick enough for the 2-56 threads and longer than needed. Then I chucked them in the lathe and used a 2-56 die to cut the threads turning the chuck by hand slowly . I needed the extra length to get the die cutting and then once it cut close to the correct position I flipped the die over and ran it backwards to finish the threads to the dimension needed. I cleaned up the transition from threads to round stock with a quick cut with a thread cutting tool on the tool post and just let it cut a shoulder. After that I trimmed the threads to the correct length. To keep the die square I braced it against the drill chuck i had mounted in the tail stock and extended it as the treads were cut. I don't have a holder for dies that can be used in the tailstock, I just have a normal hand held holder. The nut is a piece of rod that was drilled and tapped and then I milled the flats for a wrench to fit. A bit of locktite holds it all together. I hope this all comes across well, I have it pictured in my head but getting that to words is hard sometimes
Pete

Hi Pete: I did the same things so thanks. It worked. Now help me with something else. the valve body has two doifferent sides, one has two slots and one has a Tee slot. Which one is out? Looking at where they might mate,. it seems the Tee should be out. What did u find? Thanks. Bob

H Pete: More questions please. Hope u see these soon. Progress is stopped.

Besides the porting valve body question, which I appreciate u answering, look at part 25, the reversing valve body. I see 2 holes in the cross brace and the body sits on it, but there are no corresponding holes in the valve body! Where and how does the reversing body mount? Also, what/where does part 25a do/go? Part of the reversing valve body? Can't tell at all. Thanks so much fo the help!

Bob

Hey Pete! Believe it or not I finally found the reversing valve mount holes! Sorry to bother u. Still need answers to the other two questions. Thanks! Bob

Pete: You were very helpful on my first questuion. But I still need lots of help. There's the question WRT the valve body orientation AND I just can't figure out the valve body at all! Even a highly experienced machinist friend couldn't help! I THINK I've discovered at least 2 mistakes in the drawing?! Could I possible call you and we could discuss over the phone maybe even Facetime to help with the drawings? I'm completely dead in the water here. I'd greatly appreciate some help. I'm so close! Bob (Swift752)

Help!!! I have about 95% of this built but the reversing valve body has me very confused and frustrated!! I think I have found at least two major mistakes in the drawing and translating the German wrt that part(s) helps none but I am not sure. Could anybody please help me? A very experienced machinist and model builder couldn't help me!!
Please call or I can call you. Just LMK. I think 15 minutes on the phone would do the trick. I have very specific questions. THANKS!!

937 272 3579 Swift752 Bob

Back