profile picture

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robwilk

Reaction score
Hi
I am not very good with these computer things. But have just read a earlier post about adding photos so thought i would have a go I opened up a photo bucket account sent a photo to it with no problems .Then went to my profile page and put the image code in the (have my own pic) space and pressed change profile . but all i get is a box with a cross in the corner where the photo should by . Can any body help .
Thank you
Rob

You can upload your avatar directly from your computer instead of doing the Photobucket bit. 150 x 150 pixel size works best. You will find that option on your profile page.

-T

I have tried that before and nothing has happened i think it is because i have a very slow Internet connection due to my location it spends ages uploading then when it finishes there is nothing there so went down the photo bucket rout . I have successfully got the photo to photo bucket even though it took about 20mins to upload but cant get it from there to my profile page. Once again i am a complete computer idiot as you can probably tell :p
Rob

Rob,

You may be able to decrease your upload time by resizing your pictures BEFORE you upload them. There are numerous free resizing programs available. I use PixResizer, available from...

http://bluefive.pair.com/

800 x 600 is about the maximum you should use for pictures in a thread. Of course, you can use smaller sizes if that helps speed the process. 640 x 480 is fine for most pictures.

I have two folders on my desktop, PICS and PICLETS. I've set up the resizing program to resize all the pictures in the former and store the resized pictures in the latter. (The program remembers these settings so there is no need to reenter them each time.)

Load your picture files into PICS and then it's just a matter of running the resizing program, picking the size you desire, clicking the button and, voila, all the resized pictures are available in PICLETS, ready for upload.

It's not unusual for modern digital cameras to produce raw jpegs that are near two megabytes in size. Judicious resizing can reduce these file sizes to something around fifty kilobytes with little loss of quality when viewed on a typical computer screen.

The avatar pictures are stored on the forum server. You want to upload them directly from your computer. Again, the resizer can get them down to a sensible size. As an example, my avatar picture is 106 x 149 pixels and a file size of 3.15 Kbytes. Resize your avatar photo to something around that size and it should upload quickly, even over a slow connection.

Rob,
If all fails, send me a PM with the address of the photo in your Photobucket account and I will put it in your profile for you. I know it can be frustrating when you have a slow connection and are not sure of procedure.
Gail in NM

Did it ;D
Thank you guys I got some resizing software that did it .
:bow:
Now i know how to do it i will try to take a better photo
Thanks again
Rob

Another tool that will be helpful is a good picture editing program. I use Irfanview...

http://www.irfanview.net/

and can recommend it highly.

Unavoidably, we all take pictures that contain irrelevant material surrounding the subject of interest. Cropping the picture to contain only the subject reduces the size of the source picture before the actual resizing is done - a further savings in the final size with less loss of information about the subject.

Irfanview can do many other things besides cropping. Get it and experiment.

If you examine your avatar, you'll see a scroll bar beneath it. That results from the fact that, even at 150 pixels, it's still a bit wide. If you size it a bit smaller in width the scroll bar will disappear. (Although you may not care.)

Latest posts

Back