Printed Circuit Board Drilling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GailInNM

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Years ago I could accurately drill a PCB at a rate of about 20 holes per minute. With decreased vision due to age and other things I no longer have any depth perception and found I could only do about 1 hole every 2 minutes and about a third of them were off center. So time for a fixture of sorts to fit my Cameron high speed drill press.

I started with a small closed circuit TV camera, about $9 dollars on ebay, and a 6 inch or so automotive backup TV monitor that I had on hand. The automotive monitor monitor works well as I could reverse the left/right and up/down directions to suit the camera orientation so the PCB moved in a natural direction on the screen.

After a little bit of sketching I came up with something like this. The photos show the fixture with out the LED's as I found out that the ambient room light shining through the PCB gave better contrast with the translucent PCB. It's only a few minute job to install them if dealing with an opaque PCB.
Drill0006_zpsa33849be.jpg

Drill0001_zps554e164e.jpg

Drill0002_zps19aae497.jpg

Drill0003_zps71234682.jpg

I have other cross hairs made up with white instead of black and a double cross hair with black lines in the vertical direction and white lines rotated at 45 degrees.
Drill0004_zpsbfcf8e67.jpg

In operation. The cross hair is positioned over a hole just drilled and the next hole to be drilled is above it.
Drill0005_zps2dd27bda.jpg

Latest posts

Back