Prazimat DLZ 180 x 450 oil level?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanaIan

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so here is a little background info. I'm 52 years old, been machining since 1978, and live in Atlanta GA.

I'm in the process of setting up my home garage shop and just purchased a Prazimat DLZ 180 x 450 Lathe for 50 dollars:):):):). I had to to fix the centrifugal switch on the motor and now the lathe is working as intended.

My question is what oil would you recommend using in the geared headstock? And how do you know how high to fill the gear box? There is no sight glass for the oil level on the machine so i was wondering what some of you guys do? I want drain the gearbox and put fresh oil in before I start making chips.

Also what oil would you use for the ways? I'm thinking Mobil Vactra #2 should be just fine but would rather use what was recommended by the manufacturer.

Thanks,

Ian

Before everboby chips in with different oils.Any oil for the ways is good enough
for what most of do.If the gearbox is not pumped and the oil is slashed around
then halfway up the bottom gear should suffice.If you are replacing from scratch then put some in and run for a few minutes check and see hows it doing then add a little more as you think fit.Common sense should prevail
Welcome to our friendly forum Regards barry

Before everboby chips in with different oils.Any oil for the ways is good enough
for what most of do.If the gearbox is not pumped and the oil is slashed around
then halfway up the bottom gear should suffice.If you are replacing from scratch then put some in and run for a few minutes check and see hows it doing then add a little more as you think fit.Common sense should prevail
Welcome to our friendly forum Regards barry

I just looked into the gearbox, and bringing the oil level halfway up to the bottom gear seems to be just below the Main spindle bearing, thats exactly where I've been thinking it should be.

Thanks for the info Barry.

Ian

I'm not sure how this little beauty made it here to Atlanta. All I know is that the Lathe Gods where on my side, as over 100 people responded to the Craigslist add and I was the chosen one. :)

Ian

Latest posts

Back