Power Supply

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogsy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if laboratory power supplies like THIS are suitable for driving standard automotive ignition coils? I have one and it would be an easy option for a standard 'ignition box' that could be quickly changed between engines, but I don't want to blow the thing up unnecessarily by testing it if someone already knows if it will/won't work. Thanks.

Hi Al,

For what you want to do, that PSU is way way overkill.

A simple transformer, rectifier, PSU will be perfectly adequate. Essentialy a 12 volt battery replacement.

Give me a shout if you want more info.

Hi Al,

For what you want to do, that PSU is way way overkill.

A simple transformer, rectifier, PSU will be perfectly adequate. Essentialy a 12 volt battery replacement.

Give me a shout if you want more info.

Thanks Baron. At this point I have exactly zero dollars available for anything model engine related (or anything other than necessities basically) so I can't afford to buy anything. I do already have one of these PSU's and I thought I'd make up an ignition box with coli and leads, etc. with plugs that I could just plug in the PSU and hook up the engine then away it would go. So I won't be dedicating the PSU to this job, just using it in place of a battery when needed. I'm glad it will work though - I had visions of the high voltage spark frying the thing the first time I tried it and I can't afford another one!

Thanks for the offer and I'd be happy to learn if you want to share anyway.

Does anyone know if laboratory power supplies like THIS are suitable for driving standard automotive ignition coils? I have one and it would be an easy option for a standard 'ignition box' that could be quickly changed between engines, but I don't want to blow the thing up unnecessarily by testing it if someone already knows if it will/won't work. Thanks.

Im going to say no! I haven't researched the specs completely but some if these supplies have over voltage protection which might be triggered by noise on the DC lines.

You might be better off searching for an old fashion analog 12VDC supply. These are fairly rugged.

Thanks Baron.

Thanks for the offer and I'd be happy to learn if you want to share anyway.

OK Al, I'll do a bit of a write up later. In the meantime, if you grab an old computer with a working PSU, you will have 5 and 12 volts at a fair current, to play with.

A pity you are round the other side, I have a number of these, You could have one bar the ridiculous cost of postage.

The supply you posted is much more capable that what you need.
I have a box full of "wall warts", those small power supply that plug directly in the wall to power appliances and battery chargers.
Every time a cheap crap gizmo goes south I salvage all I can.
The max power I found is about 12V 2A which will be just enough for a coil.
I have used a couple 5V and 12V lower current fro CDI.

Back