power point viewer problem

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmuss51

Reaction score
well, it seems i can't find and fix a problem I'm having with power point viewer. and to go back to the beginning of the problem. it was when i had a hard drive crash after which i had to reload everything. but after awhile i had .pps files sent to me thru email and i wasn't able to open them. so i asked around of how to fix things. but i had also looked on the net to solve the problem. and after looking i went to microsoft for a download of the program. after i downloaded it i went through the instructions and tried to open the powerpointviewer.exe file that it told me to do, but that is where i keep getting stuck. because it keeps telling me there is no association with the file. and then it wants me to look for what program it was created with. and that's as far as i ever get.
if i knew what i was doing. i feel it is a simple thing to get going , but i keep running into dead ends. so as of now i have powerpointviewer downloaded and want to get it up running so i can open and watch the .pps emails.

Go to "My Computer" in your start menu. Click "tools" on the menu bar, then click "folder options". Under the "file types" tab look for .pps extension. If it's there, click on it and click "change" next to "opens with" and look for Powerpoint Viewer. If .pps is not on the list, click "New", type ".pps" in the "file extension" box, then click "ok". Then you can go back, pick it from the list, and change to PowerPoint Viewer as above.

Clear as mud!

Kevin

joeby:
i have done what you said to do and i even went over it three times. and yes .pps is there and i went to the next step which powerpointviewer is there. but when i click on an email with .pps all i get that there is no association with that type of file. so i feel that something else is bad. but where?
i am using outlook express version i can't find out. but it is from comcast if that matters ! when i had to redo the hd and installed outlook express i also lost the spell checker !

Hi bmuss

I don't know if you have tried this:

1: Save the attachment to your HDD. Right click on it and Open With | Choose Program. Find and choose a program that works and then check the box: Always use this program to open this kind of file. This should enable you to open these attachments in the future.

If the above doesn't work:

2: Unable to open .PPS attachments directly from Outlook Express using XP/SP2 or XP/SP3:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ppsopen.htm

bmuss51,

Try looking at the bottom of the file types tab while you have .pps selected, and see if there's an advanced button there. Click on it and you should see a dialog box that says "action" above it. Is there anything in the list?

Kevin

burntcav:
i fallowed your link and ran the program, which took about 5 seconds....................................it's now fixed!

THANK YOU ALL !

now that that's out of the way: on to the next problem, would anyone be able to help getting a spell checker added to my outlook express. because the only way i can figure is to delete the program and down load an older version. but i would loose all my contacts and stored files that i want to save .

I think you need to have Microsoft Office installed to enable spell checker.

Kevin

Download and install Thunderbird from Mozilla.

Then import your settings from OExp.

It's a very good email program, it's free, it incorporates its' own spell checker and can be tarted up with many plug ins and extensions if you like that kind of thing.

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back