Power outages - safety when the lights come on

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
In industrial controls, almost all machines use what is called a three wire control. One big reason for this is to keep a machine from restarting when there is a loss of power. Below is a diagram of a simple three wire start/stop. There are a few rules for this set up as follows. All stop switches are normally closed, and all start switches are normally open. There are a few instances where this rule doesn't apply, such as on a shear machine where both hands are needed to actuate the controls (a safety feature).

Start-StopDiagram.jpg

The way this works is the stop button is normally closed. The start button is pushed which closes the circuit. The relay pulls in which closes a set of auxiliary contacts that is wired in parallel with the start button. When the start button is released, the aux. contacts electrically hold the circuit closed until the stop button is pushed, which then opens the circuit and releases the relay opening the aux. contacts. In the event of a power failure, the circuit would not restart when power is restored without pushing the start button again. I hope this explanation of how this set-up works isn't too hard to understand.

It may be worth a look around your shop at the equipment you have and think about what would happen if you were in the middle of a cut and the power went of, then unexpectedly came back on. Would it harm the equipment? Could it be dangerous to you the operator? Could it ruin the part? If the answer to any of these questions is "yes", then you may consider putting in a fail safe control to keep a potential disaster from happening.

Most home shop equipment is not built to the standards that industrial equipment is for cost and compliance with regulations. For example, I have a horizontal band saw that has just a toggle switch on it to control the motor. In the event of a power failure and restoration, the saw would restart when the power comes back on which could damage the saw, blade, or me if I had my hand in the wrong place. With a three wire control, the fail safe would be built in and a power failure would just be an inconvenience.

Setting up a control such as above shouldn't be terribly expensive, and could even pay for itself in the event there is a short blackout. The switches and enclosures (if needed) are inexpensive, and cost of one carbide insert would most likely cover the cost of the modification (materials wise).

One last thing, if the lights do go out when you are in the middle of an operation, be sure to turn the equipment "off" before leaving the machine. If you can unplug the equipment or otherwise disconnect the power source, then that would be a best practice.

Work safe!

Wow Wareagle, find it strange you having to tell the site members about something we in the UK have been pushing for a long time. the control you have described is called a NO VOLT RELEASE switch over here and is fitted as standard to a lot of our TOY industrial machines from new. With all the restrictive practices thrust upon US by the ELFINS (Health and safety executive) we're nearly at the point of having to apply to the government (senate) to turn our machines on. Must admit having seen things get thrown round employers workshop when machines have turned themselves back on after a power out, so yes safety is paramount.
Regards Ian

Ian, welcome to HMEM! We are very glad to have you on board.

Here in the states, a great deal of the machinery marketed toward the "home owner" has a simple toggle switch to operate the motor. This encompasses many of the small lathes, mills, as well as table saws, band saws, and equipment of this nature. The only reason I can think of is to reduce production costs for home owner machinery. In industry, everything has to be just right, and in many cases things go overboard.

The above safety feature is not an expensive modification to make, but the safety gained with the control is well worth the investment (at least in my opinion).

Thanks for welcome Wareagle, Timeshift is going to take some getting used to. On safety we can only advise, sadly some people can only learn by self inflicted damage. Ian.

My shop runs on an extention cord, I have to unplug my fountain in the front yard or else I hit the lathe start button and end up in the dark in the blink of an eye. (not safe at all)

I need some real electrical work on my shop done, I have two 220 drops from the box, one for the hot tub and one for a weird old welder socket.

I have an extra that I would like to pipe over to the shop, I dont use it at all, the one on the left is for the hot tub.

Picture564.jpg

Latest posts

Back