Power Hack Saw Flee Market Find

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff-in-PA Fine looking Power Hacksaw. What is it ? Anymore pictures?
Thanks
JohnMTO

I need one of those :)

wooo three of us from toronto :D

Hi Speedy.

I love Toronto. Took me a while wondering where the malls were.
After 2 days of no shopping,my kitchen boss went up to the hotel desk to make enquiries. They point at a door next to the Concierge which leads to the underground malls. 2 kilometres of malls. So me boss very happy and Gus went on to attend to his Biz.Good Chinese food too.

Shopper and Eater.:D:D:D

Jeff thanks for the great pics. 2 questions:
Who manufactured the saw?
Does the saw continue to reciprocate but stops its downward travel when the bosses on the frame touch the hub for the large sprocket?
Thanks
JohnMTO

Jeff thanks for the great pics. 2 questions:
Who manufactured the saw?
Does the saw continue to reciprocate but stops its downward travel when the bosses on the frame touch the hub for the large sprocket?
Thanks
JohnMTO

The saw was offered as a kit . When I asked about at OWWM, I got this reply
I think that's a kit saw. Maybe from IASCO (Industrial Arts Supply Co.) or one of the couple of other Industrial Arts casting project suppliers of the 50s/60s/70s.

It keeps sawing until YOU turn it off.

Hi Jeff, My power hacksaw is somewhat similar to yours. A very simple design and blades of every kind from the local hardware store. I recently bought this off craig list including the motor for $75. I got the table from Harbor Fright and as you can see from the photo I have to remove a little more of the table to clear the link belt.

I use a 1/4" cylindrical stone in my dremel to grind a hole where I need it in the blade. ( No punch )

I make a mark along the entire width with a marker and then grind using the edge to make a small divot. Turn the blade 90* and repeat. Turn 90*, repeat as many times as needed. Once you think you're over half way thru, turn the blade over, match the line and grind from that side. Just a few minutes makes a nice round hole.

Works great with my power hacksaw

click

DSC02981.JPG

DSC02979-001.JPG

DSC02987-001.JPG

DSC02983.JPG

Interesting . I do not really ever seeing one like that even in catalogs. I like it. for steel bar or drill rod it could be handy. One of the local HW stores has starrett HS blades fairly reasonably priced. how bad does it shake the bench ?
Tin

Hi Tin,
As a young kid in the shop,Eclipse was the "saw blade".Today it is untouchable.
The teeth wears out fast.:wall::wall::wall:
Today I buy mainly "USA" blades like More,Lenox and Nicholson which last and last. :):):)

Please advise source of junior hack saw blades.Might try my luck at TokyuHands.

Weather now warm and humid.:fan::fan::fan:

Best Regards,

Gus Teng

The power hacksaw in Jeff-in-PA photos looks to be the same as offered by Blackgates Engineering in the UK. The cost of posting castings to Canada pushed me to purchace a 4x6 bandsaw, but would have enjoyed building the hacksaw from castings.

SteveO

Latest posts

Back