Porsche 917 flat 12 engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foketry

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Introduction
Porsche 917 is a race car developed by German manufacturer Porsche
The 917 gave Porsche its first overall wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1970and 1971.
Powered by flat 12 engine, air cooled , of 4.5, 4.9, or 5 liters,
The Can-Am variant twin turbo was capable of 1100-1540 Hp

1614880681427.png

Several years ago there was a chap in the States who was looking to build one for his 917 replica since original engines are like rocking horse poo and if up for sale carry the attendant price tag.......

Just like this
gr

Attachments

• 01-2010 041.jpg
    01-2010 041.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 488
  • 08-2008 TRISTAN flat 12 030.jpg
    08-2008 TRISTAN flat 12 030.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 506
  • 01-2010 a 003.jpg
    01-2010 a 003.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 515
  • 01-2010 a 006.jpg
    01-2010 a 006.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 508
The Porsche 917 is close to my heart. I saw it race in the 1970 Sebring 12 Hour. I also build plastic and die cast models. I'm currently building the 1969 Ford GT40 in 1/8 scale:
https://www.model-space.com/build-the-ford-gt-model-car-us.htmlI have been waiting for someone to come out with a 1/8 scale 917 model, but so far I've been teased but no model yet.
Grasshopper

Fantastic! I’ve been a fan of the 917 ever since the Steve McQueen movie “Le Mans” came out in the early 70s. If you can pull this off, you’re one hell of a model engineer!

I look forward to seeing your progress, and anyone that hasn’t looked into this exquisite piece of flat twelve cylinder, air cooled engineering is REALLY missing out!

John W

Compared to the engines that I have already built , this one has a complication, a central gear to the crankshaft to connect the 4 camshafts, the 7 oil pumps , 2 distributors and the cooling fan
I am thinking of designing a multi-part crankshaft with a central gear
I also have dozens of photos of the disassembled engine, most of them from Porsche museum

IMG_6433.JPG

IMG_6436.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

IMG_6468.JPG

Not sure what scale you’re building, but I’m sure throttle body injection is out of the question. What sort of fuel system will you incorporate?

John W

Not sure what scale you’re building, but I’m sure throttle body injection is out of the question. What sort of fuel system will you incorporate?

John W
Actually, throttle body injection is possible. Lee Root had a 4-banger running with injection way back at the PRIME shows. That engine is currently in the Sherline museum but they are respecting Lee's desire not to share his designs so the information is not available. Robert Washburn (Strictly IC editor) was working on a prototype TBI when he died. He and a friend from Europe (forgot his name) had used a small injector from Bosch if I remember correctly. Sato has or had an injector for one of their engines. I don't see it listed by Tower Hobbies.

I've been working in the plans of this engine for some time. Currently I am analyzing the Kugelfischer mechanical injection to check if something can be done in the model, although it seems to be extremely complex. If anyone is interested, we can make this as a group project. Currently I am working in a Edwards Radial 5, but I can work on the design.

The Porsche 917 is close to my heart. I saw it race in the 1970 Sebring 12 Hour. I also build plastic and die cast models. I'm currently building the 1969 Ford GT40 in 1/8 scale:
https://www.model-space.com/build-the-ford-gt-model-car-us.htmlI have been waiting for someone to come out with a 1/8 scale 917 model, but so far I've been teased but no model yet.
Grasshopper
the scale I will use will be 1: 3,3 because the piston rings I can buy are 26mm, the 917 bore is 86mm , 1/8 scale is very small, it means 10mm pistons (0.39 inch)

Foketry,
Is the avatar picture in your postings a LaFerrari. If it is, I just got a 1/8 scale die cast model of a LaFerrari that I'm just starting to build.
Grasshopper

Yes it's La Ferrari, I live a few kilometers from the Ferrari factory, in this area there are the factories of many sports car manufacturers, Ferrari, Lamborghinini, Maserati, Pagani and Ducati motorcycles

This is the link of La Ferrari, if you want to buy one, there is the online configurator, but only a few hundred cars will be produced, you have to order it quickly........
LaFerrari (2013) - Ferrari.com

Yes it's La Ferrari, I live a few kilometers from the Ferrari factory, in this area there are the factories of many sports car manufacturers, Ferrari, Lamborghinini, Maserati, Pagani and Ducati motorcycles

This is the link of La Ferrari, if you want to buy one, there is the online configurator, but only a few hundred cars will be produced, you have to order it quickly........
LaFerrari (2013) - Ferrari.com
I have a load of mates from the UK that worked for the Ferarri F1 team there, night part of the world

John W
I will put 2 carburetors, one every 6 cylinders, but i saw on youtube a model of a 10 cylinder engine with injection, very very nice
I think it is possible to apply Speeduino, a managing system for injection and ignition engine, but I'm not an expert in this

Latest posts

Back