Popular Mechanics 1963 engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like it may be a nice "Newbie" engine. Yes?
I would say yes, it is pretty simple. A bit more advanced than a wobbler or oscilating engine, mostly because of the adjustable timing. It has been a fun build. That and I'm a perpetual newbie and was able to get it to run without to much fuss.

Amazing what you can find on the internet. I wish I had it as a kid but when I was under about 10 my family had a "party line" - oh well.

I did a little more work to the PM engine. I wanted this engine to actualy do something so I bought a little "generator" and LED kit. I did a quick mock up to see if it would work and it looks like I can continue with this little project.

The little engine has a nice sound. A small capacitor will stop the flickering of the led but something about the sound and flicker makes it look cool👍

The little engine has a nice sound. A small capacitor will stop the flickering of the led but something about the sound and flicker makes it look cool👍
It does sound better with a load on it, the knock it has gets quieter.
I was thinking the same thing about the capacitor. I'm not sure what to do with the LED... Make a lamp post or build a model of a shop and light it up.... I'll have to see how many LEDs it will light up.

Latest posts

Back