Poppin Double

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShedBoy

Reaction score
I have decdided that I am going to make my partners Grandfather a motor for his birthday which just happens to be on christmas day. I never give him a xmas present but he always gets a birthday present. I have decided on a Poppin engine because it is easy to run, just needs metho. Also decided I was going to make two of them just incase I kill one in the process or if all goes well I will have one to keep.
SAM_0212.jpg

Had some suitable hunks of aluminium lying around that needed cleaning to size
SAM_0213.jpg

Does not take much longer to make two. Reaming the pivot hole. Some things are being changed to metric to suit tooling.
SAM_0214.jpg

Drilled some holes where required. There is a bit of an error which I didn't pick up because I am using a different size bearing and did not make allowance for it but I can save it with some clever shaping when finishing the standard.
SAM_0215.jpg

SAM_0217.jpg

This is how they sit at the moment. They are quite small these engines.
More shed time tomorrow :)

Brock

Will be following along Brock! ;D

Love the look and sound of these engines.

Andrew

Well I come down with the flu last night which is not handy. Heater behind me in the shed and away I plod. Got to a point where I need a drilling jig so I took a break from the blocks and made a start on the heads and said jig.
SAM_0225.jpg

Turned and centre drilling some stock and moved it to the rotary table.
SAM_0226.jpg

It has all been drilled deep enough so I can part off both heads and have some left over to make the drilling jig for the standards and the cylinders. Hole size is 2mm. I still hate drilling small holes but I succeeded with no breakages :)

Brock

Got more done today. not feeling real good but nothing better to do :)
SAM_0227.jpg

Vacuum chamber in head I suppose. I think it is stainless but turns nice.
SAM_0228.jpg

Lapping begins
SAM_0229.jpg

SAM_0230.jpg

Heads are all but done just need a final clean up.
SAM_0231.jpg

Made a drilling jig it is 5/8 one side and 11/16 the other so it can be used to drill the standards and the cylinders.
SAM_0233.jpg

Had to tap the oppisite end of the standard to tighten the jig down.
SAM_0235.jpg

Like so
SAM_0236.jpg

Took minutes to drill both. Simple :)
SAM_0237.jpg

Turn another spigot while I was at it and moved the chuck to the table again, drilled out the thread and bolted the standard to the table and machined the front where the cylinder mounts.
SAM_0238.jpg

Easily finished later on. I have made a jig to hold through the bearing and will start shaping the bearing stands tomorrow, then hog out the unwanted bits, instal the clamp bolts and it will just need finishing. Thanks for looking in. :)

Brock

Hi Brock,Nice build. Poppin is a great engine to make when I made mine I added an 1/8 or 3/32 to the length of the cylinder and turned a spigot on the end to engage in the frame just to keep every thing in line.
They are great fun,good luck with the build the best cure for flue is a good double or two :big:
best wishes Frazer

Good idea that Frazer, I found it difficult getting that spot on.

I also made two Brock, one for dad ... although they didn't get finished at the same time, I got bored of making 2 of everything! The first ran that well though that I did go back and finish the other for myself and that was just as good! Both ran first time just setting the cam by eye ... Couldn't believe it considering the struggle I had with my Jan Ridders version ... Think I learnta lot from that one though. Enjoy the build, looking forward to watching it unfold!

Nick

Thanks for the tip Frazer, I will hopefully make a start on the cylinders later today. Not looking forward to the 2mm tapping :-\ slow and steady
Nick, I have a mistake part which I have at first, it has only suffered one mistake so far but still quite useable. Making two at a time saves with set up time. The sun has come up and I am feeling better so some chores then into the shed.

Brock

Well I didn't make a start on the cylinders yet ;) but got all but the final finishing done on the standard. Afetre the lapping yesterday my fingers refuse to do it.
SAM_0241.jpg

Machining the bearing uprights
SAM_0243.jpg

Set up to machine the cylinder upright to thickness
SAM_0244.jpg

Nearly look like standards
SAM_0252.jpg

First one done with more than 1 mistake now but still useable, the 2mm threads pulled out (steer clear of Garvin taps, had nothing but issues with them) so they were upped to 3mm.
SAM_0256.jpg

SAM_0257.jpg

SAM_0258.jpg

The second one came out good and added some good looks to it. They just need some sanding and filing and wet and dry and polish to finish ::). Will do all that when I have stopped fitting parts to them while building. May even go into the shed again today and start on some cylinders maybe. Might do some easy little bits. Thanks for looking in.

Brock

MAde a start on the cylinders last night. Cast iron bar and a home made tool on the tool grinder, it works great.
SAM_0259.jpg

Lots of notes and instructions
SAM_0260.jpg

Cast Iron bar and 0.047 wide tool
SAM_0261.jpg

One done. Will start on the boring later and lap it to size. I am just going to use a piece of copper pipe held in my hand.
Brock

I know any variation on the spacing of those fins would stand out like a sore thumb, and it looks like you nailed it!
--Tim

I stressed alot making them fins as I have no DRO, I just locked saddle in place and used the topslide to move towards the chuck. I have been too sick to go outside for the past day. I may try to get out there this arvo if I feel better.

Brock

Well I have been out in the desert acting like a wombat for another week so it is back to real work now.
SAM_0274.jpg

My lash up for drilling
SAM_0278.jpg

Spot at 2mm on the drill press
SAM_0279.jpg

Drill through 1.6mm on the mill, just held by hand and worked fine
SAM_0275.jpg

Tapping 2mm, smallest tap I have used so far
SAM_0276.jpg

SAM_0277.jpg

The easiest way I could figure to get the holes in line, pick up one threaded hole and move the guage around and mark the same side on the other end. Quick, easy and seems accurate.
SAM_0273.jpg

Second cylinder with one booboo
SAM_0269.jpg

Lapping paste from CTC Tools, whole lot under $10.
SAM_0270.jpg

SAM_0268.jpg

Hand held copper pipe, I started with fine valve paste and worked my way down. The hand held stick is so simple to use and and I managed to get the bores
within 0.01mm end to end. Pipe has a good feel to it worst part is the razor sharp corner on the end of the bore. Need a longer bit. Turned at about 325rpm.

Brock

Bolted the cylinders on for a photo shoot.
SAM_0280.jpg

SAM_0281.jpg

SAM_0282.jpg

That is all for now, should get a full day tomorrow as it is raining supposedly :)
Thanks for looking in.
Brock

Good idea to get the holes right Broc, that's one of those daft little things I struggled with!

Brock

Still following this interesting build.

Vince

I have been lazy but it is nearly xmas so I thought I should show what has been happening in my neck of the woods.

SAM_0300.jpg

SAM_0585.jpg

SAM_0589.jpg

SAM_0590.jpg

SAM_0591.jpg

SAM_0594.jpg

Latest posts

Back