Poppin by El Gringo

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el gringo

Reaction score
Video and some pics of my ''poppin' build...

some deviations from original plans;
-- 2" dia flywheels
-- one piece crankshaft
-- aluminum cyl
-- graphite piston, slotted and cross drilled for wrist pin
-- typical style conrod of 2024 aluminum with no bushings.
-- wick is a rolled up piece of an old cotton shirt

note: the cyl needs to be slightly preheated (in my cold shop) at initial start because the piston expands before the cylinder has a chance too, causing undue friction. Guess I didn't allow enough clearance but I expect the fit to improve.
Ray M

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhfXnPnCidM[/ame]

P1000766.jpg

P1000767.jpg

P1000806.jpg

P1000812.jpg

P1000815.jpg

P1000816.jpg

P1000829.jpg

Congratulations on a great engine. Thanks for sharing

I have three flame type engines with graphite/aluminum and they have never stopped due to expansion...they run out of fuel first. The larger one,Duclos, gets too hot to touch but continues to run...I think th graphite expansion of ~5 helps versus the aluminum of~11. I haven't done the numbers but my guess is with a 1" piston the expansion differential is around <.0005?...I shoot for .0002 +- initial fit.
I haven't checked run time but my guess is ~ 10 minutes.

Ray M

Right now it's sitting on the shelf all gummed up with dust and crud and would take some time to get running again. When it was running, it never ran fast though it did run consistently, but it took a very long time to get it to run the first time. Here's a video of when it was running :

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsqjzybN9Pc[/ame]

Right now it's sitting on the shelf all gummed up with dust and crud and would take some time to get running again. When it was running, it never ran fast though it did run consistently, but it took a very long time to get it to run the first time. Here's a video of when it was running :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsqjzybN9Pc
sure is pretty... do you have a feel for its possible inherent design problems?
Ray

It's probably somewhat the builder (this was my first ever engine of any sort) and apart from that, maybe the extra force/drag having to move the quite large valve piston and valve activation rod assembly. You can hear the mechanical clonks and clunks which means there's a fair amount of energy being wasted. However, I've seen them running better than mine and I may have another go at it at some point, to see how much better I can make it now. It's definitely an impressive thing when it's operating and I'm glad to have built it.

It's probably somewhat the builder (this was my first ever engine of any sort) and apart from that, maybe the extra force/drag having to move the quite large valve piston and valve activation rod assembly. You can hear the mechanical clonks and clunks which means there's a fair amount of energy being wasted. However, I've seen them running better than mine and I may have another go at it at some point, to see how much better I can make it now. It's definitely an impressive thing when it's operating and I'm glad to have built it.
thanks Cosby...

Latest posts

Back