Poor Mans DRO going on a Clarke CLM500

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhiberOptix

Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be starting a new project a slight upgrade on my mill/lathe combi
I bought some digital slides about 9 months ago and I want to put these

SP_A0399.jpg

on here my Clarke CLM500

SP_A0321.jpg

converting from this The milling head

SP_A0395.jpg

to some thing like this now with a 'Z' readout

SP_A0396.jpg

and from this the saddle

SP_A0397.jpg

to some thing like this a saddle with a 'Y' readout

SP_A0398.jpg

and making and adjustable saddle stop to attach a modified digital vernier as a 'X' readout

Not sure yet how I am going to make them coolant splash proof

The New 'Z' Readout's Brackets
SP_A0402.jpg

The New 'Z' Readout Fitted
SP_A0403.jpg

Had to modify the quill lock as the Readout now covered it here the quill is free
SP_A0404.jpg

Had to modify the quill lock as the Readout now covered it here the quill is locked
SP_A0405.jpg

The New 'Y' Readout Fitted
SP_A0407.jpg

Z & Y fitted
SP_A0408.jpg

I will be ordering a larger slide for the 'X' readout
Well I am overjoyed this will make jobs easier and faster ;)

Very nice - I bought a few cheap digital verniers a year or so back with the intention of fitting them to my Myford 'M-Type' but have not yet done anything about it ::)

I am not very good at getting the dials where I need them with backlash etc. I love the DRO on my mill and I suspect you will like yours as well! Nice project. Keep up the good work! :)

eskimobob said:
Very nice - I bought a few cheap digital verniers a year or so back with the intention of fitting them to my Myford 'M-Type' but have not yet done anything about it ::)

Bob, Do it m8, I have been using mine today, what a difference, well worth the effort and Just like Jadecy said
Jadecy said:
I suspect you will like yours as well!

Absolutely spot on there Jadecy, I will be ordering another one for the X readout by the end of the week, and maybe even one for the tailstock

I am also replacing the quill feeds crank and handle, as i have detested that plastic muck since I got the machine, I think Stainless Steel will be much better ;)

Latest posts

Back