PMR Mill Engine 3A

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy with the engine. Thm:
I connected it to a little compressor last night and tried to video it but the compressor makes too much noise. I then tried jury rigging it to a little boiler. There were a few leaks with the piping due to my crappy soldering but it ran well.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGqzMWjFm38[/ame]

It's awesome!! Sounds fantastic when running!! Thm:

zeeprogrammer said:
Nice engine and nice job.
How do you control the speed?
Thanks. Simple answer is that you don't.
It was directly connected to the little boiler and I was heating it with a propane torch as a fast way to test it. Removing the flame when I stopped videoing made the engine stop.
If is a simple engine with no governor so speed depends on the amount of steam I deliver. I suppose a little valve could be put in the line but I don't own such a thing yet. ;D

Excellent job Terry. Running on steam. Impressive!

Ron

Nice work Terry,

It looks spot on and great to see it running on steam too, so many aren't, including mine :bow: You must be proud of that - any ideas on your next one yet then?!

I hate to go all health and safety here but think it's got to be mentioned. I know it's only for test purposes and you know what you are doing, but not everybody that sees this will know what they are doing. That boiler should have a safety valve, because you don't have an in-line valve it shouldn't be an issue, unless the engine was stopped and made the pressure back up.

It's been posted many times but not everybody realises how dangerous these little model boilers can be - this video illustrates it nicely. This one had a safety valve but these idiots were messing around trying to get more pressure. The expansive forces when pressurised steam hits the atmosphere is quite amazing. These guys can consider themselves very lucky!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R348vGkjyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R348vGkjyw[/ame]

Nick

Runs great, Terry. You've done a really nice job there!
Thanks for the vid.

NickG said:
Nice work Terry,

It looks spot on and great to see it running on steam too, so many aren't, including mine :bow: You must be proud of that - any ideas on your next one yet then?!

I hate to go all health and safety here but think it's got to be mentioned. I know it's only for test purposes and you know what you are doing, but not everybody that sees this will know what they are doing. That boiler should have a safety valve, because you don't have an in-line valve it shouldn't be an issue, unless the engine was stopped and made the pressure back up.

It's been posted many times but not everybody realises how dangerous these little model boilers can be - this video illustrates it nicely. This one had a safety valve but these idiots were messing around trying to get more pressure. The expansive forces when pressurised steam hits the atmosphere is quite amazing. These guys can consider themselves very lucky!

Nick
The boiler does have a safety valve. Pressurised with air it goes off at about 10psi. It is in front of the steam outlet pipe in the video.
cheers

Terry

Back