PM Research Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguingeoff

Reaction score
Ok, I know you people like pictures so here goes.
IMG_1018.jpg

Lathe bed machined had to wait on cutters from the US. ie 90 degree vee point, dovetail and tee slot for under the bed slide ways. Corresponding slides milled in the headstock, saddle and tailstock. All machined on my (20 year old copy of a Sieg X2 mill, probably predecessor not copy) mill. Same size but HAFCO brand here in OZ. Just after this motor went . Also have a Taig (23years old) and a STANCO (Russian, heavy as a tank) convertible lathe). Once the motor is replaced/fixed or the mill converted I will be able to finish the milling.
Will start of the gears , shafts monday. Cheers from Tassie. Geoff

I j=have started a yahoo group dedicated to the building of the PM Research kits. Please feel free to join it.
PMResearchkitbuilder.

thanks

Alan

Hi Geoff,
It'll be fun to watch your lathe come together. Please keep posting. As you noted, we like pictures, particulary those showing how you did it.
Regards,
Dennis

Yes Geoff, do keep us posted. That is great start to your lathe and I hope that you get your motor problem straightened out soon. How did you hold the various pieces while making your cuts? I just went over and signed up in that group and hope to see some activity as I have all of these machine shop kits squirreled away and want to see how some of various operations/setups are being done.

BC1
Jim

Ive been a bit sidetracked on the lathe project. As for holding the castings, held the bed in the mill vice, Lathe saddle, headstock and tailstock also in the vice. Bored the head stock and tailstock inline on a jig bolted to my Taig's cross slide (packed up on shims to get the centre height correct).
Reason for sidetracking, Dual gauge 5" and 7 1/4" battery powered ride on loco.

Hi Geoff
what a project to undertake,looks fantastic can't wait to see more
keeps us all posted and lots of pics please. :bow: :bow:

Ken

Hi Geoff, it looks like you have a good start on the lathe. When I was building mine I found the trickiest part was matching the carriage way grooves with the bed way grooves. I layed them out to where they should be and then slowly cut the depth while all the time matching the two pieces up. Are you going to make the 4 jaw chuck for it? If you need a couple of pictures let me know.
gbritnell

Latest posts

Back