PM Mini Lathe Project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chiliviking

Progress on my lath project slowed this week as I had to stop work on the lathe to build some clamping fixtures to handle these small castings. I built a 4"x7" plate with 10-32 tapped holes and a set of small hold down clamps.

DSCN2692.jpg

For items that need to have features requiring the use of the rotary table I built a small plate with an 1/8" pin in the center. I will add more tapped holes for hold down clamps as I see what is needed.

DSCN2671.jpg

DSCN2696.jpg

I am quite satisfied with the kit so far however I have found that some of the castings are a little skimpy in that when you clean up machined surfaces there is'nt enough material left to come up with the dimensions on the print. So far this has'nt been a problem as it can usually be made up on the mating part. As an example the reverser gear assy. shown in the picture when cleaned up to provide a flat surface to mount the gears only left a .110 thickness on the part and the print calls for .125. I will make up the difference in the standoffs that it mounts on and the gears will end up in the required place. It seems as though adjustments like this will have to be made on other parts as I go along.

Looking good!
Please keep us updated.

Rick

CV,

Thanks for showing the work holding fixtures too.

Kenny

Latest posts

Back