PM Lathe Progress

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dickeybird, But I did not come up with the idea. I must say it is a heck of a useful tool though and downright fun to use!
Now if I could only stop.. STOP getting involved with so many projects at once and stay focused on just one thing at a time I might actually finish the PMR lathe. Not to mention the Snow tandem engine I started last year. ::)

Steve

S_J_H said:
Now if I could only stop.. STOP getting involved with so many projects at once and stay focused on just one thing at a time I might actually finish the PMR lathe.
Tell me about it! I have finished exactly 2 "real" projects (a cannon & a finger engine) since I bought a used lathe from a buddy (worse than a dang drug pusher he was! ;) ) over 3 1/2 yrs. ago.

I keep finding tooling on the web I MUST have before starting the next "real" project. As my skills improve, I feel compelled to do just "one more tool" before starting an engine project. I've completed a pile of tooling but no new "real" projects lately...but I am having FUN! ;D

I made one of the camera setup and used it with Mach3..The cheap camera I used requires the lens be screwed out just about too far so it nearly falls off when focused..And it really needs light emitting diodes to cut down on shadows.....Does work well with the jog and learn wizard to copy a part..I made a stack of gun parts copied by using the camera to pick up the coordinates...
Hey them some sweet looking castings for the lathe , lost wax?..You oughtta see how ugly I could make them same parts done with greensand..Hehheheh

Due to recent health issues I have not spent much time in the shop. But I managed to make a little more progress on this little guy. I have to say that I found the tiny gear train a bit tedious and tricky to have it all mesh smoothly. I think I have it setup pretty well now. It's getting there!
Steve
pmrlatheprogress001.jpg

pmrlatheprogress003.jpg

pmrlatheprogress005.jpg

I found the biggest issue in getting the gears to mesh smoothly was getting all the burrs out of the teeth.

SJH ...sorry to hear you are dealing with health issues ...that can be a real drain. I'm also dealing with very serious health issues and my shoptime is the one thing that really cheers me up.

Thank you Chili and I wish you the best with your health!
I also find my shop time invaluable in keeping my spirits up and taking my mind of things.
Steve :)

Back