Pm #6

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sackett

Reaction score
Thinking about building a PM #6 , has anyone here ever built one??? Any thing I should watch out for??

Yeah I built one years ago.

Watch out for sinks in the casting. I didn't notice my valve chest had a casting sink. I got the thing to run after pressing in a sleeve, but the spool valve leaks badly.

Also, watch where you cut the eccentric strap. I saw cut mine in the wrong place. I had to remake the part from bar stock.

Lastly, when doing the base, don't clamp down too much and warp the base then machining it. In retrospect I think that's what caused my bearing alignment issues.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6wpWBVYBjw[/ame]

...Ved.

Last edited:
Attached is a quite detailed build log of the 6CI I built (with my issues documented).

It's quite large (137 MB), so to get it onto this forum I had to rename the .pdf to .stl. Download the file and rename it to .pdf and it should open up fine.

...Ved.

View attachment 6CI Manufacture.stl

Thanks guys for the replys. Hopefuly I can get the build started soon. This isn't exactly the engine I want to build,, but it's as close as I've been able to find. Want something a bit bigger, capable of doing real work. Charging batteries for off grid, grinding grain, pumping water. Havent found what I want, but still looking

You will find its a big jump to a real working engine, mostly in boiler size. There was an article in LIVE STEAM many years ago on some tests a guy made to generate electricity. He had a boiler that was about a 2 foot cube, wood fired. The best he could get out of it was something less than 500 watts. It takes a big boiler and a big engine to make useful power. Look at a 20ft or so steam launch, they only generate less than 1 hp and the boat is about filled with equipment.

Yeah, Ron I now There'll be a bit of supply challenge to this project, I;ve got some steam experience,,so not totaly new to the issues. I've been thinking about this for some time, then I saw some vid's on youtube by "Lynx Steam",,,and the light bulbs started going off.His rocket stove, with the electronic water control is the basic route I'm thinking of going. I'VE TRIED CONTACYING HIM ,TO DISCUSS SOME THINGS, BUT HAVEN'T HEARD BACK YET. ooops, cap locks,,sorry, not yelling
I'm thinking that what I want is about twice the size of the C6,, 3ish dia. x 5ish stroke. Haven't been able to find anything like that yet,,, so if anybody knows of plans , or castings , or any info on engine that size ,a friendly point in the right direction would be appreciated .

Thanks

A couple of Ray Hasbroucks designs might work. His #1, #5, #8 and #10 are all big enough to push a steamboat of up to 20 feet or so. All of his plans are now in one book from Village Press, there is a web site at http://hasbrouck.8m.com Individual plans are no longer available.

Back