Please Vote For the November Project of the Month

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This Gets Harder Every Month!

• Tel's Twin Cylinder Engine

• Brian Rupnow's Radial Engine

• black85vette's "First Build" engine

Results are only viewable after voting.

rake60

Reaction score
We have three very worthy nominations for the November Project of the Month.
This is going to be a tough one for me to vote on! They all deserve it for very
different reasons. That is why the choice is decided by you the members.

So here we go:

Tel's Twin Cylinder Engine

Brian Rupnow's Radial Engine

black85vette's "First Build" engine

Congratulations to all three of the nominees!

The poll will close at 5:00PM EST Monday November 9th.

Rick

Wow! Let me say what an honour I consider being nominated is!

The double diagonal started life some 6 or 7 years ago, when i came across this pic on the net

Having decided I wanted to make something similar I set to work and made some patterns for the frame, which were cast a short time later. They pretty much hung on the workshop wall until the start of this year, when a serious start was made on the engine.

The rest is pretty much history, tho' it hasn't been without it's problems, not the least of which was building the Ridley Half Beam in tandem with it.

diagonal PROTO.jpg

Tel,
Do you know what that engine was originally used for, and what the benefit of the delta frame configuration would have been?
Harry

I haven't been able to glean much info on it Harry, other that that it was made by J.Wood, of Ramsbottom and was used to drive a calico printing machine. There are a few similar engines about as well, most tagged 'for marine use' but, aside from keeping the weight of the cylinders down closer to deck level, I can't see any particular advantage.

Much as I admire both Tel and Brian's engines,I would have to vote for blackvette's little engine.The workmanship he put into it bodes well for any of his future projects.
If only I could force myself to gather the patience to finish my stuff to his standard :eek:.

tel said:
I haven't been able to glean much info on it Harry, other that that it was made by J.Wood, of Ramsbottom and was used to drive a calico printing machine. There are a few similar engines about as well, most tagged 'for marine use' but, aside from keeping the weight of the cylinders down closer to deck level, I can't see any particular advantage.

I ran across a huge version for use running a mining hoist a while back.

http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/mi/mi0000/mi0086/sheet/00015a.tif

60" bore, 66" stroke on the LP cylinder. 30 foot diameter hoist drum. It contains a miniature of itself for the operator to keep track of everything :eek:

I have to admit this has been the toughest one to date for me.
Darn it...they're all winners.

Back