Please Vote For the June Project of the Month

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It Just Keeps Getting Harder To Choose!

• Maryak's Maryak 10

• esteam's Side Lever Engine

• gbritnell's 302 Ford V8

Results are only viewable after voting.
Kovm,

Let me know when you turn green like me...X3 :big:

Philly

I made my vote...but geesh that was tough. I'm glad there's only 3.

I don't know if this is a good idea...it depends on whether one is interested in the 'end', the 'means', or both. That is...should one vote not just on the 'end' result...but also on how the person shared their journey (the 'means'). Just what do members include in their evaluation? Is this worth a poll?

I love them all.....so it's tough for me too, but

But is was very special for Bob to take us all along for the ride.....and that counts in my book.....

Dave

kvom and Philly,
I think I have stated on this forum somewhere or on another about the quality of a persons work. Everyone is at a different level than the next person for different reasons, probably the greatest reason would be dedication. Some people have better budgets which equates to better machinery and tooling. Some people have more time to spend in the shop. There are many more reasons but I think dedication would be at the top. Let me elaborate a little. When you see something that someone else has made, an engine, a tool or just a trinket, you say to yourself, boy that's great or mine is better than that one. If something is better then there's a reason for it, smoothness of operation, lack of toolmarks, ingenuity of design, quality of finish etc. The next time you make a piece spend a few extra minutes making the radius on the end of a clevis truly round or using just one step finer polishing cloth. It's these little time consuming things that add up to the quality of a part. Being realistic a person should know where their models are on a scale of one to ten. If yours are what you consider a five then the next time just try and make them a six. I had the pleasure of being introduced to Lou Chenot a couple of years back at NAMES. For those not familiar with Lou he's the one that's building the Deusenberg. Where does his model fall on the one to ten scale, at fifteen? Could I do what he does? All things being equal maybe yes maybe no. The one thing I can't match or don't want to match is Lou's dedication. He is totaly dedicated to making that project the best it can be no matter the time it takes, every nut every bolt every spoke in the wheels. At the NAMES show many years ago I overheard several gentlemen talking about this same subject and what one of them said is so true. He said be proud of what you made no matter how simple, how complicated. It's something you created with your hands. Many people never even get that far.
One of my many hobbies is building model engines. It doesn't seem like it's been as long as it has but I got my first lathe when I was sixteen so that makes it 48 years that I have been doing this. I still enjoy it and what's better is I enjoy other people's satisfaction with my work so thank you one and all for the gracious comments.
George D. Britnell

Hey George...

You've touched (stomped?) on something I was wondering about tonight.

What goes into the decision to vote one way or another?

You talk about dedication...absolutely right...it's one of the things I see that sets one person apart from another at work. What else sets a person's work above or apart from others? That's what I was wondering about.

I find these monthly votes very difficult. The projects are so wonderful. I don't want to go down the road of having a 'score sheet' and evaluating each project against 10 or 20 characteristics...too complicated...but I am interested in what everyone looks for or considers in their decision. And...I want to recognize things like dedication, the ability to share/teach, quality, bling-man-ship (if that means anything). How does one measure these things?

All well...maybe it's late tonight...maybe it should just be the initial spontaneous...'that's cool - I'll vote for that'. But it just seems so unfair.

gbritnell said:
The next time you make a piece spend a few extra minutes making the radius on the end of a clevis truly round or using just one step finer polishing cloth. It's these little time consuming things that add up to the quality of a part.
George D. Britnell

Long time ago i was told that a job is broken up into 2 parts of time. a 50/50 mix. The first 95% of the job takes 50% of the time, the last 5% of the job, the clean and shine, takes the other 50% of the total time.

Your words speak to this motto and validate its meaning.

Bob

George,

Thanks for the words of wisdom...well put.

I'm new to this model engine machining and do admire the work that everyone does. I do love the way that some people pay attention to detail and one day I may get half way there I will have learned something...that's good. :big:

Warm regards

Philly

awsome work and comments.
just a little of how i was when i started i used to have one afternoon off a week to spend with a customer of our work who was into model trains.
i went to an auction of some old model makers estate and there in all its glory was a sealion kit by westbury and a kittywake engine kit both went home with me
to cut a long story it was noted to me after after a few sessions this comment .dont try to build the whole engine in one day slow down measure twice cut once
15 years later i feel only now able to give my best to these two engines and repair the sealion botch up i can now control the urge to get r done .
and its thanks to others like all of you on here that have taught me patience and darn it now i have that the old eyes are not as good as they were so its off hunting for magnifying safty specs
it sure is hard to reconcile the brain when that 3 mill drillbit looks like 6mm with the specs on
but thanks for all who make us reach that little bit further
regard john

Latest posts

Back