Please share / Post Odd way of welding

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmithDoor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Please share Odd way of welding

This a new low cost welding hood

Safety First
electricf.gif

s_c08_rtr1ecdc.jpg

Dave

Tucked away in my 4WD are a few welding rods stored in a bit of poly pipe and a replacement welding glass for a welding helmet. I've never tried it but I'm told you hook 2 batteries in series to give you 24 volts (3 is even better). Tape glass to cornflakes packet for helmet. No need for welding leads, just use jumper leads. I'm told if you try this you need to make sure the batteries are out of the vehicle in case they object to some pretty harsh treatment. A very handy trick if standed from nowhere and you need to weld up something to get home.....

I've seen the blackfellas do it with jumper cables from one battery, still in the car, and an old coat hanger for an electrode. It works but couldnt say how strong it would be! And welding mask? Just squint mate. Or use sunnies.

On a job site way out town I had only a cutting torch , dark glass and coat hanger for rod.
It worked great and was test by earth quakes . th_wav
I did think of using jumper cables did not have any and no hood.

Dave

I've seen the blackfellas do it with jumper cables from one battery, still in the car, and an old coat hanger for an electrode. It works but couldnt say how strong it would be! And welding mask? Just squint mate. Or use sunnies.

Back