Please don't operate a lathe if your stupid!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your right and that is the generation coming up to our work force, think they can learn, I don't think so, maybe if it would have pulled his foot off he and his friends would possibly have learned, then maybe not, Lathe Nut

I remember many years taking a (at the time) company training so I could repair their equipment, took a bit of years to figure out that the actually nuts and bolts of it wasn't the issue. It was being able to work around the chains and gears without loosing a body part that was the true test. I managed to keep all ten, another only has nine, needless to say he wasn't hired. 5hp DC motors are unforgiving.

Much better to just let the machine KATO itself, it can be replaced. No rings, No watches, No long sleeve shirts, short hair preferred.

Robert

Really!

What did that kid think was going to happen?

I am sure he has seen what that lathe can do to steel.

There was some well deserved laughing at him in the background, and now plastered on the entire internet for endless humiliation.

Kel

what was he doing? he wasnt trying to see if he could stop it was he? what an idiot.

Actions sure speak louder than words. I bet everyone around him will sure think about safety the rest of their lives.

Kenny

I don't think he will think about safety any more than he did before he did it. The new generation has no fear when it comes to physical harm, they don't believe getting hurt is a bad thing, its just cool or whatever they call it now. Look at the X games, motor cross and even the Olympics, if you aren't standing on the edge of near death your not even a competitor.

My current job relies on me working with a whole new generation of employees coming into a company for their first "real" job. You would be shocked at the number of them have had serious injuries from their hobbies and actions and they wear them like a badge of honor rather than seeing a few years down the road that more than likely they will be in constant pain from these injuries.

Its a shame that they don's see what they have done to themselves.

Just my opinion. (By the way it should be a Darwin award)

THAT IS JUST PLAIN SCARY
where the hell was the supervision and what was he doing over that side anyway

Kids need to have their a$$'s kicked then sent to home economics till they graduate.

Home Ec???? I think not, remember all those hot stoves and sharp knives they have! Don't know exactly where that bloke would fit in, but somewhere with LOTS of padding would seem to fit the bill.

They couldn't pay me enough to instruct such people.

Part of me see's a great object lesson in this. A new perspective has been realized.... 8)

Most of me wants to reach through the screen and throttle the A*@*&^$ ......

I'm with you Bob....."Can't fix Stupid"

I'm at a total loss for words.

Rick

I demonstrated the possible result of getting caught in the lathe to my son and daughter...under controlled conditions....some time back to drive home how powerfull a lathe can be.....they were both VERY impressed....my daughter won't go near it.....my son has a whole new appreciation for it.....he lets me do it.

I think that's called parenting....well, at least that what I call it. 8)

On Edit

"Safety is an Attitude" should be required reading on this board

With the cuts in high school shop classes, it is going to get worse. In the 70's I learned how to operate a metal lathe and basic foundry skills in high school! We were not allowed neared the machinery until we demonstrated a respect for it. Few if any kids got hurt in class.

Can't get any worse can it,he should stick to those inane computer games they play,or am I getting to old ;D
Don

Man vs Machine

Machine always wins.

And besides it doesn't care - so what's the point.

Testostrerone trumps intelligence every time. Boys will be boys = stupid !

%#* DAM what the %@#& stupid sons o $%#^## theres reason number one to whip there @#$% but good.
im a firm a#$% whipper if you need it then you get it. boy im mad as hell right now GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
im going out side to kick the F%$#%$^ tree
i should not have seen this.

Yeah they are idiots. Unfortunately, today's youth feel just as immortal as the youth from the generations before them. Most young people don't start thinking right til they are 25. This is not new to "today's" youth. We just didn't have video cameras to record (and broadcast) our stupidity back then. :)

Eric

Back