Plans for casting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rational Root

Reaction score
I do a reasonable amount of metal casting, bronze and aluminium. I'm looking for plans for a simple engine where I cast the main parts myself. While I can cast, I'm going to be starting out as a novice with a lathe, so something less complex to machine.

I did try google (which led me here)

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

I can't help you (but I'm interested in this thread).

Have you stuck chunks of metal of your casting into your lathe, and seen how well they cut? I dunno about bronze, but I know that aluminum alloys have a wide range of machinability that depends not only on the alloy, but on the post-casting heat treat. You may want to cast up some bars just to see how it cuts compared to 6061-T6, or other pleasant-to-machine alloys.

Making casting is simple you may have right sand in your backyard.
Try this site
https://groups.io/g/foundry
After read this site I can help you with sand casings

Dave

I do a reasonable amount of metal casting, bronze and aluminium. I'm looking for plans for a simple engine where I cast the main parts myself. While I can cast, I'm going to be starting out as a novice with a lathe, so something less complex to machine.

Thanks

What part of world are you ?

Dave

Thanks

I'm not looking for help with casting, I have quite a bit of experience working with greensand, oil sand, and thin shell ceramics. I'm looking for plans for an engine which I can cast the parts for.
IMG_20201012_192942511_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201012_214347131.jpg
IMG_20200901_200721448.jpg

Making casting is simple you may have right sand in your backyard.
Try this site
https://groups.io/g/foundry
After read this site I can help you with sand casings

Dave

I can't help you (but I'm interested in this thread).

Have you stuck chunks of metal of your casting into your lathe, and seen how well they cut? I dunno about bronze, but I know that aluminum alloys have a wide range of machinability that depends not only on the alloy, but on the post-casting heat treat. You may want to cast up some bars just to see how it cuts compared to 6061-T6, or other pleasant-to-machine alloys.
The lathe is yet to arrive.🤫
I'm using broken aluminium car wheels for feedstock. I believe it machines quite well.
I may also use Zamak for things which need weight, like flywheels.
I know I will need to learn how to use the lathe, but there's nothing like a definite project to help learning, and if I mess up a part, it goes back in the furnace.

In particular, I'm looking for an easier built from the machining point of view. I don't really know which type of engine would be a good first build. I don't want to try starting with something that requires expert level skills

That is to far to walk or drive.
To setup a foundry is not hard to do.
The biggest problem is finding a good sand. The rest is simple and can be found at the local hardware store and grocery store.

I would use natural bond sand .
This simple but you have to find it. It maybe in your backyard.

Dave

I'm in Dublin, Ireland.

That is to far to walk or drive.
To setup a foundry is not hard to do.
The biggest problem is finding a good sand. The rest is simple and can be found at the local hardware store and grocery store.

I would use natural bond sand .
This simple but you have to find it. It maybe in your backyard.

Dave
See my post above with photos, I have a small foundry, and a fair bit of experience casting. I'm looking for a pointer to plans.

Also, while casting is not difficult to set up, it's very unforgiving if you mess up. It also takes a fair bit of practice to get consistent results.
IMG_20200912_195221596.jpg
IMG_20200910_195901108.jpg

There was an interesting article published in Popular Mechanics magazne in 1936 describing the making of a fairly simple single cylinder air cooled engine, from pattern making through to machining. I've attached a pdf of the article, it may be what you are looking for, good luck!

Attachments

• Midget engine.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 509
There was an interesting article published in Popular Mechanics magazne in 1936 describing the making of a fairly simple single cylinder air cooled engine, from pattern making through to machining. I've attached a pdf of the article, it may be what you are looking for, good luck!
That's awesome, thanks

The Dave Gingery Books have a few engines all of which require home casting and entry level machining.
I can vouch for the stirling engine and the atkinson engine as being good runners..
The atkinson "differential" engine is apparently a PiTA to get working.

Nice castings. I do aluminum castings. I have found old cylinder heads make great castings. Pour great, machinable, strong. The BMW and Toyota (Lexis) heads are my favorites. I go to the junk yard and ask for cracked heads. I usually get them for free or $5 bucks. I believe it is a silicone/aluminum alloy.

By the way, have you looked up MyFordBoy on YouTube? He is working a steam engine as we speak. He used a Zinc/Aluminum alloy for his flywheel for the mass. Good luck!

Thanks
There are plans etc. in here for a single cylinder a mate of mine designed for high school students. It has the option of a poppet valve for those who worked slower than others. 15cc if I remember correctly and can be cast or built up.
Video of it here.......

Plans etc. here......
Simple IC engine

For my first casting and engine build I just modified Mr Pete 22’s vertical steam engine design from his you tube channel. I just used his dimensions and made a pattern and cast the main body instead of machining it from stock. Pretty simple and runs really well.

Attachments

• 2C7105A4-671D-46B6-A20E-2A225876BE2C.jpeg
    2C7105A4-671D-46B6-A20E-2A225876BE2C.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 229
  • B50E91AE-2C55-43A1-B99D-16E0064720A3.jpeg
    B50E91AE-2C55-43A1-B99D-16E0064720A3.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 268
For my first casting and engine build I just modified Mr Pete 22’s vertical steam engine design from his you tube channel. I just used his dimensions and made a pattern and cast the main body instead of machining it from stock. Pretty simple and runs really well.
That is fantastic. What is it cast in it n?

Back