Plans for casting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rational Root

Reaction score
I do a reasonable amount of metal casting, bronze and aluminium. I'm looking for plans for a simple engine where I cast the main parts myself. While I can cast, I'm going to be starting out as a novice with a lathe, so something less complex to machine.

I did try google (which led me here)

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

I can't help you (but I'm interested in this thread).

Have you stuck chunks of metal of your casting into your lathe, and seen how well they cut? I dunno about bronze, but I know that aluminum alloys have a wide range of machinability that depends not only on the alloy, but on the post-casting heat treat. You may want to cast up some bars just to see how it cuts compared to 6061-T6, or other pleasant-to-machine alloys.

Making casting is simple you may have right sand in your backyard.
Try this site
https://groups.io/g/foundry
After read this site I can help you with sand casings

Dave

I do a reasonable amount of metal casting, bronze and aluminium. I'm looking for plans for a simple engine where I cast the main parts myself. While I can cast, I'm going to be starting out as a novice with a lathe, so something less complex to machine.

Thanks

What part of world are you ?

Dave

Thanks

I'm not looking for help with casting, I have quite a bit of experience working with greensand, oil sand, and thin shell ceramics. I'm looking for plans for an engine which I can cast the parts for.
IMG_20201012_192942511_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201012_214347131.jpg
IMG_20200901_200721448.jpg

Making casting is simple you may have right sand in your backyard.
Try this site
https://groups.io/g/foundry
After read this site I can help you with sand casings

Dave

I can't help you (but I'm interested in this thread).

Have you stuck chunks of metal of your casting into your lathe, and seen how well they cut? I dunno about bronze, but I know that aluminum alloys have a wide range of machinability that depends not only on the alloy, but on the post-casting heat treat. You may want to cast up some bars just to see how it cuts compared to 6061-T6, or other pleasant-to-machine alloys.
The lathe is yet to arrive.🤫
I'm using broken aluminium car wheels for feedstock. I believe it machines quite well.
I may also use Zamak for things which need weight, like flywheels.
I know I will need to learn how to use the lathe, but there's nothing like a definite project to help learning, and if I mess up a part, it goes back in the furnace.

In particular, I'm looking for an easier built from the machining point of view. I don't really know which type of engine would be a good first build. I don't want to try starting with something that requires expert level skills

That is to far to walk or drive.
To setup a foundry is not hard to do.
The biggest problem is finding a good sand. The rest is simple and can be found at the local hardware store and grocery store.

I would use natural bond sand .
This simple but you have to find it. It maybe in your backyard.

Dave

I'm in Dublin, Ireland.

That is to far to walk or drive.
To setup a foundry is not hard to do.
The biggest problem is finding a good sand. The rest is simple and can be found at the local hardware store and grocery store.

I would use natural bond sand .
This simple but you have to find it. It maybe in your backyard.

Dave
See my post above with photos, I have a small foundry, and a fair bit of experience casting. I'm looking for a pointer to plans.

Also, while casting is not difficult to set up, it's very unforgiving if you mess up. It also takes a fair bit of practice to get consistent results.
IMG_20200912_195221596.jpg
IMG_20200910_195901108.jpg

There was an interesting article published in Popular Mechanics magazne in 1936 describing the making of a fairly simple single cylinder air cooled engine, from pattern making through to machining. I've attached a pdf of the article, it may be what you are looking for, good luck!

Attachments

• Midget engine.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 507
There was an interesting article published in Popular Mechanics magazne in 1936 describing the making of a fairly simple single cylinder air cooled engine, from pattern making through to machining. I've attached a pdf of the article, it may be what you are looking for, good luck!
That's awesome, thanks

The Dave Gingery Books have a few engines all of which require home casting and entry level machining.
I can vouch for the stirling engine and the atkinson engine as being good runners..
The atkinson "differential" engine is apparently a PiTA to get working.

Nice castings. I do aluminum castings. I have found old cylinder heads make great castings. Pour great, machinable, strong. The BMW and Toyota (Lexis) heads are my favorites. I go to the junk yard and ask for cracked heads. I usually get them for free or $5 bucks. I believe it is a silicone/aluminum alloy.

By the way, have you looked up MyFordBoy on YouTube? He is working a steam engine as we speak. He used a Zinc/Aluminum alloy for his flywheel for the mass. Good luck!

Thanks
There are plans etc. in here for a single cylinder a mate of mine designed for high school students. It has the option of a poppet valve for those who worked slower than others. 15cc if I remember correctly and can be cast or built up.
Video of it here.......

Plans etc. here......
Simple IC engine

For my first casting and engine build I just modified Mr Pete 22’s vertical steam engine design from his you tube channel. I just used his dimensions and made a pattern and cast the main body instead of machining it from stock. Pretty simple and runs really well.

Attachments

• 2C7105A4-671D-46B6-A20E-2A225876BE2C.jpeg
    2C7105A4-671D-46B6-A20E-2A225876BE2C.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 229
  • B50E91AE-2C55-43A1-B99D-16E0064720A3.jpeg
    B50E91AE-2C55-43A1-B99D-16E0064720A3.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 264
For my first casting and engine build I just modified Mr Pete 22’s vertical steam engine design from his you tube channel. I just used his dimensions and made a pattern and cast the main body instead of machining it from stock. Pretty simple and runs really well.
That is fantastic. What is it cast in it n?

Latest posts

Back