Plans for Brass Stirling '60'

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. It takes a lot of extra work to draw up plans. Much appreciated.

Hi Jeroen Jonkman
Great looking engine,and a great build. Thanks for sharing

Best Regard
Ken

Hi Jeroen

:bow: Thank you VERY much indeed for the plans sir! - This is a definite build for me in future; especially as it uses materials I can get!

Kind regards, Arnold

Thank You Jeroen,

It is very nice.

Jeroen's video of the completed engine;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL-YWNYp7zA[/ame]

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for sharing your plans - this is now my next project while I pluck up courage to start on a traction engine - again!

I have a question though - how did you make the displacer? Did you turn and bore it from solid, spin it, draw it or what?

many thanks, Ian

Hi Ian,

the displacer was turned from solid, with the inner radius made with a drill-bit shaped especially for the job.
The inner radius is not critical, I just wanted to take out as much of the weight I could. After the drilling/boring the workpiece is flipped in the chuck and the outer radius is turned. Be sure to fill the displacer with a piece of scrap material of the correct size to prevent damage caused by the jaws or collet.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!

Jeroen

Hello,
Thanks for the plans, these are excellent. I might build one for my grandfather.

Right now I'm just modelling the engine in Solidworks but I can't find the drawings for the two rods that connect to the crank. I'm sure I can find a way to model it but I was wondering if I am misreading your drawings.

Thanks,
Xander

Thanks for sharing jeroen, I now appreciate the time it takes to draw up the plans after spending months trying to do the ones for the pump I made. I will put this one on the to do list now I have my small lathe to play with. Excellent build.

Cheers,
MartinH

This has also been featured on:
http://www.machinistblog.com/

No affiliation or anything, just another site i look at for info and plans and tips!

Great work Jeroen and thanks for sharing!!!! Thm:

Andrew

Hi Jeroen,

How did you bored grooves for the o rings?
I find it quite difficult to bore it in square shape.
Please advise.

Hi Jeroen,

How did you bored grooves for the o rings?
I find it quite difficult to bore it in square shape.
Please advise.

Yeah, it'll want to ring like crazy. Try making a form tool with a rounded end instead of a square one. It will allow you to enter more gradually, reducing the risk of vibration. Make sure it's very well supported. Try reducing the speed and increasing feed.

Since it's an o-ring, a rounded bottom to the groove will be fine.

I found that PDF that was posted by Jeroen is missing 2 rods.
One connects to tumbler plate on one end and to crank on another.
Second one connects to crank on one end and to displacer rod end on another.
Most important property of those rods are their length. Did anyone figured it out?

I found that PDF that was posted by Jeroen is missing 2 rods.
One connects to tumbler plate on one end and to crank on another.
Second one connects to crank on one end and to displacer rod end on another.
Most important property of those rods are their length. Did anyone figured it out?

Same problem here….
Still no one figure it out?
Thanks.

Hi,

I created entire assembly including the rods in SolidWorks.
It does not allow me to upload it to the forum because of it's size (even zipped). Post your email, I will send it to you.

can anyone tell me why links like the first one in this thread never work for me , they always just take me to the front page never to the item in question . thanks .
johno

Latest posts

Back