Plans Call for Generic Metals. Need specifics to order. + other Q's.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuelrush

Reaction score
Hello, I'm building a KOZO A3. I'm ordering metals from speedy metals and online metals. (Neither carry all I need to place one order). The plans call for phosphor bronze, only online metals have phosphor bronze, but they carry C510 and C544. Which one? Also I wanted to pick ground stock for axles to cut out turning time. What ground metal would I use here? I'll I'd have to do is face it to length.

So here's a list of questions and what I already have in mind. Let me know if I've made a mistake.

(book calls for) - (What I'm considering)
Phosphor Bronze - C510 or C544?
Brass (Sheet) - CA 260
Brass Bar (leaded) - C360 (Free Machining)
Free Cutting Steel - 12L14 Steel
Free Cutting Stainless Steel - 303 Stainless Steel
Steel - What would I use here? (Slide Rods/Valve Gear etc)
Stainless Steel - What would I use here?

Thanks for the help! I'm excited to order and get started!

Hi Fuelrush,
I've found O1 (oil hardening) drill rod to work well for slide rods. It's centerless ground, so it's round, good finish and available in
number and fractional sizes.

Fuelrush,
C544 is much easier to machine with very few downsides.

CA260 is pretty much the standard thin material for brass. It is what most people use for thin sheet.

CA360 is the standard for free machining brass. Machines easy and polishes well.

Free cutting steel. 12L14 is the standard for easy to machine steel. I started to switch over to 1144 about 5 years ago. It is almost as easy to machine as 12L14. It is more resistant to rust which is one of the drawbacks to 12L14. 1144 is also available as 1144TGP. TGP means Turned, Ground and Polished. Very accurate diameter dimenions in the TGP form. It is also known by the name Stressproof as it has very low internal stresses so distorts very little when machining. Cost is a little bit higher.

Free cutting SS. 303 or 303S. The 303S is slightly easier to machine. I think it is the best all around SS for hobby use as it is both fairly easy to machine and easily available.

My opinions only and there are lots of opinions available.

Gail in NM

I'm having trouble locating any ground stainless steel in smaller sizes less than .25". Drill rod has lots of ground sizes obviously but its not stainless.

If McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com doesn't have small-diameter stainless rod, try Small Parts www.smallparts.com . Their website is terrible, or was the last time I tried to use it, but if you hunt long enough I'm pretty Small Parts has small-diameter stainless.

Mcmaster has ground Stainless down to 1/16 dia.

I also have started to build an A3. What I did for material is to use what ever I could get from Home Depot and Lowe's. I just finished the tank and I built it out of sheet steel from Lowe's.My A3 will not be a show piece but I ans taking a machine shop course from the A3 book and learning as I go.I'm having fun and will end up with a steam train instead of a hammer and a clamp.Find what you can order what you can't find. Jump in and start. Buy as you go along you don't need all the material before you start. I thought the same thing and set on the book for a long time.I just started up and am having fun.Order some steel for the tender wheels and get going get the rest as you go. Have fun time is short. Ed

Back