Planning a drill press conversion, any thoughts?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaleb

Reaction score
Looking at the price for a decent mill these days, I thought I could get some basic milling capabilites out of my drill press with a few modifications. The main one being the fitting of a vice table and machining vice to the work platform. It may also get a rotary table at some point. The other main modification would be to add a locking device to the manual feed. Any comments?

A drill press spindle is not made to work in a milling fashion.
Spindle run-out and rigidity are typically far short of the minimum
requirements for milling applications.

Rick

Don't let that stop you from adding an X-Y table to the drill. ;D

I don't think I'll ever go back to a drill press that does not have one. Very handy when drilling lots of holes in a row... :big:

An X-Y table on a drill press is heavenly. I can however tell you from experince that milling with the drill press -will- ruin the machine quickly.

If milling were that easy we would not have milling machines.

I am *not* recommending these practices and have not tried them personally!
You are on your own to decide whether to proceed.

Early issues of Popular Mechanics & Popular Science did have a few ideas to perform milling on a drill press.

Go to http://books.google.com/books?id=RdMDAAAAMBAJ for Pop Mechanics
and navigate to articles in the July 1954 & Jan 1969 issues.

Go to http://books.google.com/books?id=iigDAAAAMBAJ&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0_0#all_issues_anchor for Popular Science and navigate to January 1952.

Tho I have not put these ideas into practice I see two major hurdles (there may be others). First, the drill press bearings may disagree with side loads. I have read suggestions that they don't make 'em like they used to: the shaft bearings are fewer in number and lesser capability. Surely begs - at the least - to perform all these pseudo-milling operations with minimum quill extension.

Warning: Side-loading a drill chuck can cause the drill chuck & the installed cutting tool to work loose! You most certainly need to avoid this. Milling cutters have a drawbar to prevent this.

The drill chuck, secondly, is a real no-no for holding a milling cutter. The Pop Mech July 1954 article shows a "milling cutter holder" in place of the drill chuck but no construction details are provided. I have purchased milling cutter holders that accept 3/8 or 1/2 inch milling cutter shanks on the "business end" with Morse Taper 2 or 3 to insert into the milling spindle. Success in finding a holder to work with a drill press that lacks a Morse Taper is unknown.

Maybe for occasional work, using light cuts it may work.
Take precautions if you decide to go ahead.

I have to agree with most or all of the above Kaleb. All the things you mention are worthy additions to the drill press, but it will still be just a drill press. Improvised milling is better carried out in the lathe.

My drill press is an older one, and looks well built. It would take a lot of side load to ruin the bearings in it. In fact, my Dad was doing what you could call "milling", he had to repair part of the spare tyre lifter from his car, and this involved removing some material from one of the parts. He just used a normal drill bit as well!

There is some solid advice here. However, Before I got my mill I used a drill press with an X Y table to do some milling. I could mill aluminum with very light cuts, but steel it would not do.

So, it is possible to mill with a drill, you must take very light cuts

here are some pics
IMG00029.jpg

IMG00032.jpg

and a home made fly cutter on steel, this actually worked very poorly, it took a half hour to get accross this bar of steel once taking about .003 off.
IMG00045.jpg

but I did make this with it
IMG00155.jpg

IMG00156.jpg

this is just to show that although its not recomended it is possible.
If you like what your doin, then save your pennies and get a real mill

Kel

Kaleb
There is a member who lurks on the board that does some amazing work using a drill press. I just attended a local show where he displayed a very well made traction engine and hay baler, plus about 10 other engines from both bar stock and castings. You'd never know he doesn't use a milling machine. I'd post photos, but I'll need to ask his permission first.

It can be done, but it takes a bit more patience and planning.

Steve

Maybe Bill will read this and post some of his work.

The drill chuck, secondly, is a real no-no for holding a milling cutter. The Pop Mech July 1954 article shows a "milling cutter holder" in place of the drill chuck but no construction details are provided. I have purchased milling cutter holders that accept 3/8 or 1/2 inch milling cutter shanks on the "business end" with Morse Taper 2 or 3 to insert into the milling spindle. Success in finding a holder to work with a drill press that lacks a Morse Taper is unknown.

== Solitaire ==

Like many others I have used a drill press for some light milling, I did experience some of the pitfalls regarding the cutter loosening in the drill chuck. If I were to have to mill again in the drill press I would buy a ER type collet chuck on a MT to suit the drill spindle and Loctite it into the spindle to be even safer, even then only taking light cuts in plastic and Al.

Emgee

The taper comes out of the drill press.
There is no draw bar.
Might work with epoxy- but then the taper is there to stay.

Bad idea.

Like many others I have used a drill press for some light milling, I did experience some of the pitfalls regarding the cutter loosening in the drill chuck. If I were to have to mill again in the drill press I would buy a ER type collet chuck on a MT to suit the drill spindle and Loctite it into the spindle to be even safer, even then only taking light cuts in plastic and Al.

Emgee

I'm embarrassed to say that I've done some milling in a drill press and have lived to tell about it. I don't recommend doing so to anyone though. If you want to convert a drill press for milling my best advise would be to make a new spindle with an integral ER chuck. If you aren't willing to do that then maybe best to stay away from drill press milling.

Let's face it a drill press can be fairly substantial compared to some hobby milling machines. But you need to be willing to modify the machine for your safety and to address common drill press short comings. One big problem with drill presses is quil wobble, if the casting doesn't permit a way to address quill wobble it isn't going to function as a drill press.

Agreed, kind sir!

There is such a thing as a lathe which is a drilling machine turned at 90 degrees. Oh, and lots better!

Almost as good as a proper milling machine which is a lathe turned at 90 degrees

Oops

Norman

One example of a drill that doubles up as a light milling machine is the Emco 5 Milling and Drilling head, it does have a screw on collet chuck and the quill can be locked when in fine down feed mode. It was sold as a stand alone milling machine with a substantial cast iron base and XY table or as an attachment to fit to the back of the bed on the Compact 5 and 5 cnc lathes, this enabled 2.5D cnc milling on the lathe. Obviously won't remove huge amounts of metal at 1 pass but used within limits very exact work can be accomlished.

Wizard69, if any drill has a wobbling quill I would suggest it's not even fit to drill a hole, definitely not to be used as a mill !!!!!

Emgee

One example of a drill that doubles up as a light milling machine is the Emco 5 Milling and Drilling head, it does have a screw on collet chuck and the quill can be locked when in fine down feed mode. It was sold as a stand alone milling machine with a substantial cast iron base and XY table or as an attachment to fit to the back of the bed on the Compact 5 and 5 cnc lathes, this enabled 2.5D cnc milling on the lathe. Obviously won't remove huge amounts of metal at 1 pass but used within limits very exact work can be accomlished.

Wizard69, if any drill has a wobbling quill I would suggest it's not even fit to drill a hole, definitely not to be used as a mill !!!!!

Emgee

Oh I agree but I've looked at more than a few import drill presses that had a surprising amount of quil wobble. You are right in that they aren't suitable for drilling especially at smaller scales. The fact of the matter is good drill presses cost a lot of money these days unless you get lucky on the used market.

Warning: Side-loading a drill chuck can cause the drill chuck & the installed cutting tool to work loose! You most certainly need to avoid this. Milling cutters have a drawbar to prevent this.

This needs to be repeated. Milling on a drill press can loosen the chuck on the taper.

Hi
The comments that milling with a drill chuck can loosen the cutting tool are valid.
In my early days as a lad being mentored by an engineer of of advancing years his way to prevent this was that you tightened the chuck progressively using all FOUR key holes on a three jaw chuck.
Try this then you will struggle to get it loosened again.
Find a sturdy drill press with a screw on chuck and light cuts.

Eric

I too tried a drill press for milling - boy it sure keeps spinning as the Morse Taper gives and it falls out .

Rob

I'd recommend shopping for a used, rough-ish condition, round-column mill-drill, it will be fantastic for drilling and acceptable for milling once you tidy it up and add a cross slide table,

- Nick

Latest posts

Back