Plan drawing programs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam081

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls just wondering what drawing programs you use I have tried turbo cad but can't work it out and would like something more basic I only need to do 2d.
Thanks cam

Try Draftsight. It's free and if you've had any prior 2D drawing experience it shouldn't be too tough to learn. I came from an Autocad background and found it quite easy.
gbritnell

Hi guys and girls just wondering what drawing programs you use I have tried turbo cad but can't work it out and would like something more basic I only need to do 2d.
Thanks cam

Take a course in youtube how to create 3D model in Turbocad.

It´s just me or there is a russian bot offering doors in this thread?

Autodesk now has Fusion 360 free for hobbyist. (AKA "Startup" Makes less than $100,000USD from work involving cad) Download the full version. Do the free trial. At the end of the trial, there is an option to keep using for free for hobbyist.

Been an autocad R12 ( dos , yes dos:) ) user for decades .
Can't get it to run anymore on a core I7 , so members of this forum
suggested draftsight .
I reluctantly switched to draftsight and I'm very pleased with it .
Give it a try , it's free and it's very intuitive to use .

Pat

Cut2D and other programs from Vectric are pretty intuitive. Free trial. Some, modest, limitations. Great support.

That said, TurboCad is perfectly fine -I use it routinely when C2D is just too simpleminded. I encourage you to stick with it; a hundred to a hundred fifty hours or so of general drawing will see you at a pretty functional level (that is, two-four weeks of full time effort).

You can't get much easier than turbocad , even 3D drawings are simple to accomplish ! just follow one or two of the tutorials and you will be ok.

I am a retired long term draftsman but limited computer knowledge
Saw the tutorials on utube and decided I would like to have another go
I downloaded draftsight but when I try to open it ,I'm told that I need to activate it.This I do only to get in a repeat loop.Can anyone advise me
how to download and open up free draftsight.Regards Barry

I put about 6 hours into DRAFTSIGHT and realized that I was getting nowhere.

Was drawing in 3d using FUSION 360 in less than 30 minutes. Not nearly competent yet and there's still much to learn..

good tutorials (for my non-plastic brain) by this guy...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5bc9c3S12g&index=9&list=WL&t=22s[/ame]

and I needed a new computer, anyway...

Fusion 360 is as low as $25 per month on an annual subscription, or $40 month to month.

Better to have Turbocad, you do not pay per month.. :)

Through my work I am now working with Inventor , but in the early days I used graphic works 3.0 , a very easy to understand program , this was still in the time of windows 3.11 and 95, but I don't know if this is still available

Regards Jef

I have been using Fusion 360 from Autodesk free as a hobbiest and it is the best I have found especially for the money(free).
I worked as a weld engineer for several years and have used several different cad systems including Anvil, Autocad 2d versions, and ProE to design weld fixtures. Weld fixtures just had to hold the parts rigid while they were being welded and the designs had to be built by our toolmakers. Not rocket science and easier than designing model engines just bigger and uglier.
Tool design was a just a part of the job so I didn't get really good at any of the cad systems but I had to be functional to the point of providing a design to our toolmakers.
I have designed two engines with Fusion 360, both which are 3d models. One is complete and runs and the other is in the process of being built. Both are pictured in another post I made earlier. Took a while to get smooth with the modeling but I am now as fast with Fusion as I was with Anvill or Autocad. Don't ask about Pro-e. I was a failure with it.

Now the bad news. Fusion isn't real robust. It tends to crash if I get click happy with the mouse and it wants to create its own lines in the sketch mode. Just have to careful to check what you have drawn for accuracy. Try it if you already have some cad experience.

Latest posts

Back